how many on waiting list

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Debbie

how many on waiting list

Post by Debbie »

http://www.nfer.ac.uk/research-areas/as ... -ranks.cfm

Do you think you can work out from this graph how many children got marks above your child's mark and therefore, depending on the admission number, how many need to drop out before yours will be offered a place.
For example:Take 1000 kids sitting the exam and the admitted number is 145--then 16% =160 so 15 need to drop out--or am I mad?

Post by Guest »

You can't say that because it depends on whether the children sitting the test fall within the normal distribution. For example, if the children are all clever children, then the average score would be higher for that group of children than for the greater population. Do you follow?

You wouldn't expect children with learning difficulties to sit the test, so the lower numbers in the distribution on the NFER website probably wouldn't be there. I hope you understand this, but when i have tried to explain before, people have made rather rude remarks. I am a maths teacher and I hope that I am able to explain standard deviation, normal distribution and averages, - after all it is my job!
Debbie Lloyd

Post by Debbie Lloyd »

oh I think I see--I thought/hoped it was a 'normal' distribution for that particular cohort of children i.e their particular scores' distribution--oh well-scrabbling around here for straws! Many thanks