Appeal for Ashlawn

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
amum

Appeal for Ashlawn

Post by amum »

Dear All,
I have sent an email regarding an appeal for Ashlawn Selective to the Appeals Box.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

S-A/Etienne, I am assuming that this appeal is for Ashlawn School in Rugby, Warwickshire - it has a selective stream.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks, EM.

Dear amum - Welcome! We can only answer on the forum. Could you post some general questions here? We try to answer in very general terms (so as to respect confidentiality), but the way you frame your questions on here gives us a clue as to just how much detail you're happy for us to go into! :)
Etienne
fed up

Post by fed up »

Hi, as Ed's mum says, Ashlawn is a large and oversubscribed comprehensive school with a selective stream. For those of us in Kilsby and Barby, just half a mile over the Warks/Northants border, it is our nearest school.
As you know people in Northants now have to get a much higher pass mark to access the grammar schools in Rugby, and this is also the case with the selective stream at Ashlawn, although the mark is typically slightly lower that that needed for the girls' and boys' grammar schools.
I wish you luck, amum, wherever you are from.
Rose petal

Post by Rose petal »

Welcome to the forum amum.

I am also appealing to a Warwickshire School - Alcester Grammar. I have a thread on the appeals section as well.

I seem to have thought of little else since 2nd March when we found out that DD was on the waiting list - near but so far!!

Hope it all works out for you.

Rose Petal
amum

Ashlawn appeal

Post by amum »

I think I can now see how the site works!
My daughter got a score of 298 while the passmark for Ashlawn Selective was 296. The only reason she hasnt got a place is due to the boundary changes.
1) should I mention that in the appeal or is it something they will be all too aware of
2) I am a single working mum whose other daughter goes to the Warwickshire Grammar school(RHS)......it would make life a lot easier if they were both in the same Education authority for holidays, etc. Ashlawn is also in Warwickshire whereas the school she has got a place at is in Northamptonshire, is it worth mentioning at the appeal.

Thanks for your help
AMum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear amum

The boundary changes as such are not an issue the appeal panel can address, but the consequences for you are worth mentioning. I think the line to take is "I do fully accept the right of the authority to make changes in the admission arrangements, but, with a sibling already at the school, my younger child has been disadvantaged by the new boundaries. Last year she would have got a place. This year she is denied a place. The consequences for us are explained in more detail below."

I would have thought there should be a logical order to your points: (1) A brief opening section about the boundary changes, (2) a separate section on your personal circumstances, and the problems there will be with different children at different schools in different counties, (3) another section on academic suitability, and (4) a final section on reasons why your younger child would benefit from a place at the school, why she wants to go there, how upset and disappointed she is.

Could your employer supply a letter to confirm your working hours?

We really don't have time to look at individual statements of appeal, but I suspect you should omit things like "how she approached the 11+" and "attitude to life" etc., and focus on the four sections suggested above, with a clear break between each section.
Etienne
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I'm absolutely not an expert on appeals at all amum. However, if you would like a second pair of eyes to look at it, I'll be more than happy to help.
youngest

Post by youngest »

Back from the school holidays!

amum - have you phoned Warwickshire admissions to see where your daughter is on the waiting list as well as filling in an appeal form?

For RHS and LSS in Rugby where you live does not matter for appeal, if you live outside even the "outer circle" and have the highest score, then you are first on the waiting list. I assume this is the same for Ashlawn.

Even someone didn't put the school on their CAF then they can request to go on the waiting list.

There may be some movement on the waiting list whan the LSS appeals have been heard. From what I heard there was none last year - may just be hearsay!

Hope that helps.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

youngest wrote:There may be some movement on the waiting list whan the LSS appeals have been heard. From what I heard there was none last year - may just be hearsay!
I'm probably being a bit simple (no change there then) - do you mean that there was no movement on the Ashlawn waiting list?

The LSS prospectus states that they heard 50 appeals last year, 16 of which were successful.

Charlotte
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now