Have you ever gone OTT while buying presents for teachers?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bromley mum

Have you ever gone OTT while buying presents for teachers?

Post by bromley mum »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 076312.ece

Parents have given designer handbags, cricket match tickets etc to teachers. One parent offered the teacher an all expenses paid holiday if his son was awarded a music scholarship at Eaton! Has the world gone mad? If this is how the parents behave then what can we expect from the children when they grow up?
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Oh my, that is just ridiculous! The most we have ever done is taking DS1 to a pottery shop to make 'his most favourite teacher' in the world a mug :lol: You know what? She had tear's in her eye's that he'd painted and done this for her :D
arealfarmer

Post by arealfarmer »

It would never have occurred to me . :roll:
Milla

Post by Milla »

oh, blimey, no. I always get presents for them (and TA and SKIT?? teacher) so it's 3 per class, plus head, plus 2 school secs, so just doing it for 6 (9 in DS1's day) is bad enough - but no more than a fiver each, and bottle of wine / necklace / chocs is as far as it gets. And a home made card from child lisping some sweet sentiment. I did get DS1's form teacher a nice box of chocs in Y7 and y eight but rather think I was alone. DS1 a little embarrassed sliding said box of chocs across to huge burly PE teacher :oops: (bet he snarfed them tho!)
Amber

Post by Amber »

I wish some of these extravagant gifts would come my way! The sweetest one I ever had was when I first started teaching and a little girl brought in several of her mum's dish cloths wrapped up in a tea towel. She knew some of the others would be bringing presents but this school was not in the kind of area where parents could afford anything much, and she came from a home where they couldn't afford anything at all.

One of my best presents was a cake baked by the child himself: someone who had had an awful lot of difficulties to overcome and the mere fact of being able to follow a recipe and make a cake was a huge achievement.

And it really is true that the only ones you really treasure are those with a story - the homemade cards and pictures, little models, that kind of thing.

That said - if any of my pupils have sussed me...I love good champagne, always need money (but would accept gift vouchers), could do with a whole load of new carpets and curtains and a holiday in the Caribbean would be greatly appreciated this year.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now