RMGS-appeal or waiting list??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Frustratedmum

RMGS-appeal or waiting list??

Post by Frustratedmum »

Hi again,
I was wondering if anyone can help me at all? We've just had results back for a late test for Medway. Now I'm so confused & seem to get very vague answers from the council.
We are trying to apply for RMGS, we had it on our CAF (only filled in approx 3 weeks ago due to move). I called the council following our result regarding what to do next, i.e. whether to go on waiting list or apply to appeal. We were told to wait for the info about waiting list to be posted to us within a couple of weeks. Now the confusion is that I assume that means we can't apply for the waiting list until the appeals have all been heard?
But Kent have said that I must apply for our Kent choice BEFORE the appeals take place as DS passed. Does this same rule not apply to Medway? Is it because we are OOC? (RMGS is our second closest Grammar school in Kent & mixed, hence the choice). Does anyone have any previous experience & also should I go on waiting list or appeal for oversubscription or both?
Many thanks
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Frustratedmum.

I would think that the pass letter is for your information only. If you have put in a C.A.F, then I would expect the next step would be an offer letter from your LEA. With the offer letter should be an option to go on the waiting list/s or appeal.

You must go back to your LEA and request that they explain the procedure and the anticipated time frame, preferably by email so you have it in writing.

Your LEA should co-ordinate with Medway but it wouldn't hurt to email Medway LEA and ask them to explain the procedure, for your situation.

Don't give up until you are satisfied you are clear about the admission arrangements for your DC.

As a late applicant you are already at a disadvantage, so depending on what school you get offered, it may be necessary for you to go on waiting lists and appeal.

Good Luck :D
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

Ah that actually helps loads thanks mitasol, I've held back a little and you've made me realise I need to be stronger. Everytime I have phoned (not many :lol: ) I come off the phone unsatisfied with the answer because I haven't pushed enough. I suppose I keep thinking 'don't upset them, it won't help my case' :lol: :lol:
I actually did receive my papers for the waiting list today contrary to advice given the other day, but at least they're here so I'll send them off & hope for the best.
Many thanks again for your advice & well wishes :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now