NEWS FROM MG

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Morning Glory

NEWS FROM MG

Post by Morning Glory »

Yes I am still lurch in the background.

Just thought I would let you know that my DS's statutory assessment was turned down. Which I was expecting, I didn't think this was going to be easy. Reasons for refusal was that he is attaining a level above the level required for an assessment.

I have been told that unless you are two years behind in Bucks they are not interested.

My argument is that is isn't really about his academic ability it is about being about to access the curriculum. For example if it was a child with a visual impairment then it is likely that a statement would be written to say the child would need materials in school to cope with the impairment.

I'm not sure if this argument stands up, I can appeal and I am going to speak to IPSEA again, who previously told me although he was attaining a level which was age appropriate, I still had a case and should apply.

Will have to get some more advice and decide what action to take next.

HEARTMUM - We received our pack last week - loads of forms and a huge list of uniform to buy but all quite exciting.

Fingers crossed for all Bucks members still waiting for school places.

Regards

MG
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Sorry to hear that your DS's initial assessment was turned down .. but don't give up x x x

Agree the forms make it all very exciting and very real :D have been costing up the uniform :shock: will delay telling OH the amount for a while :wink:

And I'm with you on wishing all those waiting on school places the best of luck x x x
Heartmum x x x
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

I have posted on here before that we were given the same reason by Bucks LEA for DS1 – that as he was achieving age appropriate results they wouldn’t assess. We appealed the refusal to assess and the LEA’s own Ed Psych assessed and wrote something to the effect that, “needing to perform 2 or 3 years below age is only a guide as to why some children might need a statement but is not a set criteriaâ€
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

Hi Heartmum - see you are still dipping into the forum. We have been busy that although I try to keep up with most of the thread just never seem to get the time to post.

Greta2 - Thank you for your email. I was prepared for the refusal and it is information like yours that makes me believe that this 2 year behind thing is there get out clause and most parents back down after they are issued with that. IPSEA basically said the same as the EP said to you that although he is age appropriate he is in fact 5 years behind his intellectual age. I need to look into it a little bit more but I am sure that I will be appealing.

I will keep you all posted.

MG
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi MG

It is so nice to hear from you again, but what a shame that it isn't better news.

I have absolutely no experience of this type of appeal to offer (Etienne may be in a better position to help you), but I think that Greta2 has given you some very wise words of advice.

All I can offer is a very general opinion. Your son has a truly remarkable mum, and I pity anyone who tries to stand in your way when you are fighting for his rights. You fight fairly, politely and hugely effectively. I have total admiration for the way you are approaching each new challenge.

Best wishes to you.

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I do think it's worth trying to challenge the argument that it's necessary to perform 2 or 3 years below chronological age. This should be a guide as to why some children might need a statement, rather than an absolute requirement.

It's not unknown for a LA to back down at the last minute, as Greta's experience shows. They'd really prefer not to have to go to the time and expense of appearing before the First-tier Tribunal.

(SENDIST has ceased to exist as a stand-alone body and become part of a new two-tier Tribunal structure; the First-tier Tribunal and the Upper Tribunal.)
Etienne
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

Sally-Anne & Etienne

Thank you for your responses. I am going to ring IPSEA today, look at the tribunial site and pull together all the stuff I need.

On a more positive note, I must say the school have certainly pulled their finger out. I believe another boy is his class has just got a statement and from what I can gather they have a trainee teacher in to cover the hours on this boys statement. The spare hours are being given to DS. The trainee teacher has also been scribing for DS in SATS practice so I presume he will be scribing for him in the exam as well. His class teacher keeps me informed about every change or anything she thinks may be an issue. I refused to go to parents evening because to discuss all DS's issues in 10 mins I don't feel is sufficient and I always come out feeling extremely depressed so requested a seperate meeting which she was happy to arrange and is next week after school.

Will go and ring IPSEA now and see what they say.

Have a great weekend.

MG
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

Definitely, definitely appeal - nearly everyone gets turned down at first ask.

Check the SEN code of practice (scan download from teachernet documents), I'm sure they have a duty not just academically but socially as well.
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

Spoke to IPSEA on Friday who said I should appeal but also said I should ask the LA for a meeting.

They felt that DS's situation was quite unique and that the LA had just given me a standard response. They felt that it was a case that DS is unable to access education in the standard way i.e. cannot get his intellectual ability on paper and said that if he is able to do this verbally they should be looking to support him with voice recognition software etc. He thought it was relevent that he is 5 years behind his intellectual ability.

I'm going to find out from DS's teacher this week what impact the LSA support has had on his work over the last few weeks. It will give me more of an idea as to whether he needs and LSA hours - as I'm not sure how much this helps him. I know the LSA has been scribing for him in the SATs practice and that he did 30 mins of OT with him on Friday, which DS adored.

I might see if I can see the SENCO at JHGS again (saw her last May before diagnosis and before we knew he was actually going there) to find out exactly what support he would get without a statement.

So will be writing a letter to the LA today requesting a meeting. If anyone has any advise or arguments they think I should use please let me know.

MG
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

I feel like I'm on another emotional roller coaster.

Had a meeting with DS's teacher on Wednesday after school in lieu of parents evening, which I had refused to go to. I arranged a meeting so we would have more time but still came out feeling that the teachers agenda is different to mine - so felt quite down (as always after parents evening) and started to doubt whether I was right to appeal against the refusal to assess.

SENCO saw me in the playground and said she would put a document in an envelope and give it to DS, I thought she meant some notes from a meeting about his IEP which we'd had about a month ago. Today I got the envelope and it was the letter that the headteacher had written to the LA regarding DS and his Statutory Assessment. I know she is fully supportive of me and she outlined DS's difficulties in great detail and I am amazed after what she wrote how they didn't assess. I am now sure that one of the criteria to assess must be under achievement. I will be requesting exactly what the criteria is from the LA. It has fired up the engine again and gives me so much ammunition to throw back at the LA. Watch this space!!!!

MG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now