Scores

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Scores

Post by Guest »

Hello everyone, I am glad I found this forum, as I have lots of questions to ask you all. My son ahs recently sat the test for camp hill school in Birmingham. My question is, I think that the children need 350 to get in to the school. What does this mean? What is the 350 out of, or am i being naeve? I am very new to all of this. He found the paper hard, did your children find it hard. Any information would be excellent as we have to wait such a long time.
KenR

B/Ham Camp Hill Scores

Post by KenR »

My son also took the Camp Hill exam recently. Although the results are not published, I think I can shed some light on this from previous years rumours!

There were two papers each dived into three sections. The 3 test score are added together and then standardised. (for info on Standardisation see other posts and on this forum).

I'm told that the cumulative standardised score requirement for a pass in previous years was 346 points for Camp Hill and about 330 points for Five Ways. This is equivalent I believe to a single module Standardised Score of about 115 points for Camp Hill and 112 Points for Five Ways (+ or - 2 points variance in each case)

And yes most children found it hard - for section, they had to do 81 synonym questions in 10 mins, or 1 question every 7.4 secs./ That really is time pressure!

Worthwhile checking some of the postings under Birmingham LEA. for more information and discussions.

Hope this helps.

Post by Guest »

Ken, that is interesting. I know that you (or anyone else) may not know the answer to this, but at Bishop Vesey a child need to get a score higher than 318 and then they are allocated places based on how far they live from the school. We live very close to camp hill school and I wondered if they also did the same. What I mean is do the children need to score 346 and then they allocate places according to distance from school, or do they just allocate places to those scoring the highest regardless of distance.

My son was able to get between 80 and 95 % on Verbal, Non Verbal, Maths and English papers before the test, but I know that this is no guarantee of aplace. He found the test hard in parts and he said the maths was quite difficult - I think he ran out of time - he also ran out of time on the synonyms, but then I think I would have done too! He is very good at maths and got a level 5 at the end of yera 5, so the maths must have been hard. Heis also an August baby, so is very young in his year at school.

I looked at the other posts and was interested to read some of the worsds that they expected a 10 years old to know - I think I would need a dictionary.

Thank you again - and I am sorry Administrator that I didn't post this in the Birmingham section - I didn't scroll down far enough.
KenR

Scores - Answer to Question

Post by KenR »

Camp Hill award places based strictly on scores in the test, athough they do say that in the event that 2 boys score the same standardised score result they would award the place to the one that lives the closest to the school based on a straight line measurement.

Interestingly, Bishop Vesey has changed the rules this year. They used to award places based on distance subject to achieving a minimum test score, but this has now changed for 2006 entry. This is the quote from the LEA brochure " Bishop Vesy Brammar School no longer has a residence requirement and entry to the school is soley as a result of scores gained in the tests, whether or not the candidate lives in Birmingham. In fulling the last vacancy or last rwo or more vacancies in order to achieve the maximum entry of 124 pupils, the Govenors will give preference first to Looked After Children and secondly to candidates who live nearer the school"

Hope this helps
Thea

Post by Thea »

It almost seems like a verbal reasoning test for parents to understand the entry criteria! I take my hat off to parents who understand all this - i need to put a wet towel round my head & sit in a darkened room to work this all out..!
Best Regards,
Thea
Best Regards,
Thea
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now