Info on Cheltenham please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
slackmum

Info on Cheltenham please

Post by slackmum »

My mother is moving from Devon to be nearer us and is considering Cheltenham as DS1 has got a place at Pate's. I do not know anything about Cheltenham and wonder if anyone can give us some pointers, she does not have a very big budget and would like to be close to food shops etc and on good bus routes.

Any information gratefully received.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I am replying not because I have any particular pearls of wisdom, but because I think it must be a bit dispiriting to post and have no replies. Maybe everyone is too busy scoffing chocolate at the moment and it would mess up their keyboards.

What I can say is that if she doesn't have a very big budget you need to look carefully before going further. It is very expensive here, as I am sure you know.

I would also say, possibly controversially, but as someone who moved here from 'outside' and, more importantly, whose mother quite recently did the same, for similar reasons to those your mother is considering - , Cheltenham is not, how shall I put it? the friendliest place on the planet to move to. If she has an established network of friends already, then she should think very, very carefully before jumping.
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Hi Slackmum

If you have a look at this thread it might help you out.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=13277

There is a lot of personal preference when it comes to the Cheltenham/Glos debate. I live in Glos and there are some great places to live (However, you do have to do your research!). I am a Glos alien and I have been made very very welcome in my neighbourhood. I wish you and your mum all the best with the decision making.

Obviously she can check out the houses and prices on http://www.rightmove.co.uk/
slackmum

Post by slackmum »

thanks Amber was begining to wonder if I had done something wrong and no one was talking to me! Will take your comments on board.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Before moving to Gloucester,we owned a flat in Cheltenham.Not knowing the are at all well,we bought what we thought,on our limited budget,was a lovely flat.Well,in hindsight,it was,but the are left an awful lot to be desired.

On a limited budget it is difficult,but not impossible,to find what you are looking for.The advice we got from the estate agent when we bought was not very helpful,I suppose after all they are out to sell properties! What they consider a good area may not be what you would class as such!

We moved to Gloucester because of the vast differential between prices in the 2 areas.Both have good and bad areas.Try and talk to as many local people as possible before taking the plunge!

GM
Milla

Post by Milla »

I think Chelt is a very friendly place, sorry Amber! but I suppose I have links now back to 1987 and OH has them back to, well, a long time before that! It's a sort of "you'll never leave" place, so it may seem cliquey from the outside but it's only because so many groups of people have known each from so long. On the plus side, that means your groups aren't all same old same old. My chums do jobs from decorating to running own companies to holisitic health to accountancy to well, everything, really wide ranging.
We moved "out" by ten minutes but it is very expensive round here and yes Glos is substantially cheaper. The rough bits of Chelt are rougher and the smart bits smarter than Glos so do do your homework!
Amber

Post by Amber »

I think Chelt is a very friendly place, sorry Amber!
Nope, am sticking to my guns on that one. I have lived all over the place, but I suppose my heart is in the north and that is definitely so much friendlier than Cheltenham - no question, hands down. I actually lived in London before moving here and yes, that was worse, or rather, different - I think everyone thought I had been let out for the afternoon when I tried to make conversation in shops! A car park attendant actually threatened to call the police when I offered him a square of the chocolate bar I was eating as I struggled with the ticket machine.

I am very lucky to have lots of friends in Cheltenham now, but very few of them actually hail from here originally, and I honestly do think that it is a hard place to move to - my poor old mum has certainly found it so.

I am sure you are very friendly though, Milla!x
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Cheltenham is VERY expensive as I am finding out! :(

If your mother is a pensioner then she should consider moving to a village or suburb of Gloucester that has a large older community with many activities. Churchdown is a perfect example and Maisemore although I suspect public transport links will be better with the former.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'm a Cheltenham girl!

best thing is to visit, sPend time and look around...as with most placesthere are good and bad areas..
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Ah yes, there's a thing. There is accomodation in Glos and Chelt which is for sale only to people over 55 or 60 (not to assume your mum is that age! :) ) However, if she is, they are available at a greatly reduced price, some are in good locations and obviously nearer to people of a similar age (some also have wardens for added security and peace of mind), good bus links etc.

Some are apartments in stately homes and others more modern. If you search Rightmove and on the top right hand side there is a button to choose 'retirement properties.' Would deffo be a cheaper option and she could still enjoy Cheltenham if that is the prefered locale.

PS I do not work for an estate agent! I just have had to buy a house in a location I did not know so have done A LOT of homework :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now