What to do in the holidays?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cindrella

Post by cindrella »

Hi Everyone.
The easter holiday seems to be a good break for me but not for my DS!!
He is so used to doing stuff - All this time preparing for the entrances .. and all. Now I think he should get a break from academic stuff..
They keep asking "What do we do?" about every 20 mins!! (in some ways pushing me to allow DS,TV DVD or computer games!) Maybe for a couple of hours at the most. But then what? The weather doesn't help! We got tonns of toys, board games and card games but they are not so appealing any more( Unless we play too!!) Friend are out of town - we couldn't make it as work holidays are limited.. plus the recession is pushing.

Any suggestions? Desperately need them and will be appreciated. What do you do to keep your children busy?
Charl39

Post by Charl39 »

My DD has been given an hour of homework a day in preparation for SATs which is keeping her a little occupied! Seems a little unfair given they're meant to be on "holiday".
Charl39
dodger

Post by dodger »

Haven't these kids worked enough for their numerous 11+ exams? Let them be bored or chill out! It does them no harm in the long run. The most creative thing my daughter did last summer holidays was one day when she was at home with her gran and was bored - she created her own viking museum to entertain herself...It was fantastic! But I agree to limit electronic devices; that might just encourage them to pick up a book or two. The sun is set to shine in the next few days so that may help too :)
doodles

Post by doodles »

There's an I'm Bored thread going at the moment.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
cindrella

Post by cindrella »

I did not know about the thread already running .. It is under GENERAL topics in the EVERYTING ELSE ... click on it and one can find the 'I'm bored' topic. I found it extremely useful. Good tips. We did find a lot to do.
Took the kids to the park with their cycles once, and then once with the basket ball, Also went for bowling, had some waterguns so I let them drench each other in the garden one afternoon, Museums is a good one too but my boys were not so keen this time. We even looked for the Geocache but we could not find it!! One of the neighbours asked us what we were doing! She offered to hide a treasure for them to find so we got to keep looking!! Oh! and also we are thinking of growing some sunflowers and other seeds ..That is something to keep them watching..
Windy days so today maybe we will try taking a kite too to the local parkand see how that takes off.
Plenty of options (easy on pocket) - It is all thanks to the sunny days.
zvrk

Post by zvrk »

doodles wrote:There's an I'm Bored thread going at the moment.
reading this tread lots of us got into http://www.geocaching.com/

great fun, your boys will love it :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now