sneakly gcse science results at top indie

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tree

sneakly gcse science results at top indie

Post by Tree »

Have relatives whose kids go to this top indie and was nosing about their really good gcse results:

http://kcs.org.uk/images//gcse%20results%202009.pdf

and noticed that they entered about 8% of students for double award science presumably to boost there a* percentages but it seems a bit sneaky and then not fair to compare themselves whith other schools that only do single sciences is this usual ??
zee

Post by zee »

If you're suggesting that some pupils sit individual sciences PLUS single or double science, hey're not the only school to do that, and it's not only indies that do it.

As to whether it's fair or not... is it any better or worse than all number of other ways that schools try to rise up the league tables?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I have had a quick look at that table and I didnt think it really screwed it in their favour as what people look for is the cumulative grades of the A* but then again these statistics are always screwed and I have seen worse.

It must be the financial times one which showed some of the best IB schools in terms of results and a school which only had about 30 students who took IB was at the top. Normally these schools like Latymer enter only their top students for the IB so it may not be such a true reflection if they had all the students sit these exams. I just think you have to look at the overal picture of the results and as you rightly mentions how many of the students take the subjects you may have an interest in and pass them well.

What is double science though, is it because it is IGCSE and does it have more weight that ordinary science?
Impossible is Nothing.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

sorry double post cant seem to delete this one
Impossible is Nothing.
zee

Post by zee »

sherry_d wrote: What is double science though, is it because it is IGCSE and does it have more weight that ordinary science?
I think IGCSE is a red herring in this context.

GCSE sciences comprise up to 3 levels in each of 3 sciences:

* If you take 3 of each you can get 3 separate science GCSEs, one each for bio, phys and chem.
* If you take 2 in each subject, you get double science.
* If you take 1 of each, you get single science.
* If you take 3 modules all in the same science subject you get a single GCSE in that science.
Tree

Post by Tree »

with gcse, double science contains physics chem and bio all in one exam and is to a easier level than triple science and counts for 2 gcse's i assume its the same for igcse.

sherry has a good point as nearly all the students taking double science got a's or b's so it doesn't effect their a* numbers much but i suppose you have to wonder if the same pupils took triple sciences there would maybe be more b's and c's ?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

zee wrote: If you take 3 of each you can get 3 separate science GCSEs;
So does that make the GCSE science better then as the double one is just two subjects?

Tree looking again at the results it seem the school doesnt really do science and general science and they favour single science subject. I think this is mainly because all the students have to take IB in 6th form and my little understanding of IB is it favours doing separate science subjects as it gives them advantage say they decide to study higher level chemistry which seem the core for those wanting to get into the medical field and they can choose another science to study. I have just looked at a similar IB school and they dont even do the general science or the double science just separate science subjects.
Impossible is Nothing.
zee

Post by zee »

sherry_d wrote:
zee wrote: If you take 3 of each you can get 3 separate science GCSEs;
So does that make the GCSE science better then as the double one is just two subjects?
Er, not really.

GCSE science is one single GCSE (or IGCSE), with a little bit of each subject (physics, chemistry, biology).

Double science is two GCSEs (with a bit more of each of the 3 science subjects).

Triple science is three separate GCSEs, one full GCSE in each of the 3 science subjects.

I've amended my post above to make it clearer.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

OK i get it now but the double science looks a bit dodgy to me, do universities really look at that as 2 science subject? I am thinking probably not and just dont get it why anyone would do it? General science seem OK for those who just want a general knowlege of science and nothing more. Triple sciences for those intending to study science and double sciences??? I am not getting quite what its purpose is. If universities do take it as 2 sciences then that will be great but I doubt very much that top universities do unless I am missing the point of it all.
Impossible is Nothing.
Flamenco

Re: sneakly gcse science results at top indie

Post by Flamenco »

Tree wrote:. . . noticed that they entered about 8% of students for double award science presumably to boost there a* percentages
zee wrote:As to whether it's fair or not... is it any better or worse than all number of other ways that schools try to rise up the league tables?
IGCSE's are not recognised in the League Tables.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 987117.ece
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now