Hello + NFER papers query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sharky

Hello + NFER papers query

Post by Sharky »

Hello all

This is my first post so wanted to say hi to everyone. My DC will be taking the 11+ in Sept this year. I have a quick question. We have started doing some Bond book work which is going ok at the moment and I have bought the four pack of NFER papers. My question is, when it comes around to doing these are they all of the same standard. Should I start with the 'A' set and work through to set D in each subject?
I hope that makes sense.
I am sure that now I have taken the plunge with my first post there will be many more to follow. I look forward to sharing the experience with everyone else doing the tests this year.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

no they are much the same - although the NVR 11A is notoriously tricky!

Bond is not ideal for Verbal reasoning in Kent.

Welcome to the forum btw.
Sharky

Post by Sharky »

Thank you yoyo123

If the Bond books are not great for the Verbal in Kent would you kindly recommend an alternative for Verbal other than the NFER tests. Many thanks
SSM

Post by SSM »

I know that a lot of people say that Bond is not suitable for Kent, but that was the only weekly material my boys used and both got top marks in VR.

I agree that it is not representative of the Nfer VR test used in Kent, but I think for weekly work it was fantastic.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The IPS books are good, also the Tutors CD/downloads from this site. I use CD1 to go over any problem areas. There are also some e-papers by The Tutors which are useful.

Susan Daughtrey practice tests are suitable , but the books cover fr more types than the Kent test.

This is a useful thread

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=3740

Kent usually only has the first 15 types, but occasionally a nother type creeps in so I cover the last 6 (16 t0 21 /HIKNOS) briefly just in case!

Verbal reasoning is helped by a good vocabulary, so lots of word games help.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Tuition For You were good too. Bought some of those VR papers, found them useful.
long and winding road

Post by long and winding road »

We also used Bond and DS scored top marks in Kent VR test. yoyo123 - in what way did you find it wasn't suitable?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

it covers lots of different types of question that aren't in the Kent test and the graded books are standard format not multiple choice. (Apparently there are some new multiple choice papers, but I haven;t seen them yet)

I am a tutor, so only have an hour a week with the children and a relatively short time to cover the 'syllabus' . Therefore I want to make sure that I pack as much in as possible.

Having said that anything that gets brains ticking must be useful..
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

We had a similar experience LAWR. And I found the 10 min papers particularly useful.

However I think that the concern about Bond papers in Kent is that they contain extra questions which are not covered in Kent and therefore it is unfair to get a child who is struggling to master them unnecessarily. On the other hand I guess it prepares children for the unexpected questions.
long and winding road

Post by long and winding road »

I had no idea that they had types of q's not covered on the 11 plus!! All that extra work for nothing!! Better not tell my DS! :oops:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now