Single level test dilemma.

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tracy

Single level test dilemma.

Post by Tracy »

Bit of a dilemma here.
School is one of those doing the single level tests this June.
School is not doing the May sats in maths.
My daughter is currently a 5c but to be awarded the level in a SLT you need to get 50% of each paper answered correctly. She is currently just a mark or 2 short of this.
DD wants a 5 and has ASKED for extra work at home to help her. :shock:
Should I do extra at home to secure that 5?
I have always been against it before as it artificially puts the child at a higher level than they actually are.
But in this case she's so close to it that it would be nice fo her to secure the 5 before she starts sec school.
Would also give her a huge confidence boost as she failed the 11+.
School, as per usual, useless. :roll:
Any advice gratefully received.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

I dont know much about the SLT but if your dd is just a few marks away from the level she wants, and you know she is capable of it, then yes i would not hesitate to do a bit of extra work at home with her, if she wants that too then you can only gain :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

if she has asked, then yes.

Keep that interest going!!

If you want any help, just yell ( or PM)
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

What I really want to yell is that the 5 will be a result of outside tutoring or me, her mum. But the school we take all the credit, esp when such a mess was made of the ks1 sats where she only got a 1a in maths. School will be so proud of themselves and all that added value!
I know I should rise above this.... :roll:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

definitely rise above it, the important thing is your daughter.
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

Tracy, do the best for your DC, forget the school.

Passing on a horrible story. I knew a maths department in secondary school. One teacher was excellent and was given kids who struggled with maths. He worked hard and helped them all to pass. Great. One other maths teacher was honestly rubbish and got gifted kids, parents of gifted kids realised there was a problem and on mass paid for private tuition. Guess what? The kids passsed really well and the school gave big credit to the rubbish teacher. It made my blood boil, yet nothing could be done about it.

What the school does is up to the school. Yet your DC is your responsibility. Do your best for your loved ones.
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
Daogroupie

School getting the credit

Post by Daogroupie »

Tracey, I have dug my younger January start dd out of the bottom set bottom table hole that the school dropped her in and inched her bit by bit upwards to be the only girl on top maths table. Does anyone at the school honestly think that she suddenly got it in a class of 30? It is absoutely your job as a parent to do the very best you can for your dc's. Give her every bit of help that you can. Her results will belong to her as well as the school and nobody will ever be able to take them away from her. I honestly don't care how much credit the school gets. dd's and me, we know the real score. And the other parents? Its all right for you they say, you have got clever daughters! Strange how quickly they forget my dd was on bottom table. Tracey, do you have access to Sam learning, its great fun and will help boost her scores.
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

Daogroupie - you are a hero
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Well I guessed you guys were all going to say exactly what I am thinking.
:lol:

The problem is not so much sats but the single level tests we are doing instead.

With the sats, if she sat the 3-5 paper then she would get a 5 as is she is a comfortable 5c. But with the slt you have all level 5 qs and you have to get 50% right to be awarded a 5. It is assumed that the 5 here is as least a 5b. As she's just a couple of marks off of a 5b anyway, I feel we should give it a shot.

DD wants to try, it's all coming from her! :shock:

Does anyone know how I can get my hands on level 5 questions only, as in a sats type paper. I cant give her 3-5 as that's time wasting and 4-6 isn't appropriate either.

Don't know what Sams is.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Bex mum

Post by Bex mum »

Tracy, are the school entering DD for level 5 paper? I thought that they enter a child at a level the teacher feels the child is safe at which I don't agree with at all. At least with SATs there was more scope to get a 4 or 5.