Protocol on providing medical evidence

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jabber

Protocol on providing medical evidence

Post by jabber »

Hi

I have a daughter sitting her eleven plus for Grammar School in Lincolnshire this autumn who has recently been diagnosed with 'familial tremor'. This condition has been causing shaking, particularly in her hands. Her primary school have already commented that she has problems with drawing and fine detailed work. Her medical notes draw attention to her difficulty with fine motor skills.

I want to give her every chance in the exams and wondered if there is a way of making the examiners/schools aware before the exam, so as to perhaps avoid the lengthy appeal process. Could you please offer some advice.

Many thanks
Jacqui
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

I think that in most cases, unless the child is needing more time in the exam, any medical issues would wait until appeals (if needed - she may pass anyway). I am pretty sure that the Lincolnshire exam in VR NVR and hence would be multiple choice answers.. hence no handwriting.

If you are concerned that her intended answer may not be clear on the answer sheets then have a word witht he exam dept before hand.
um

Post by um »

To be honest I would contact the admissions authority/schools as soon as possible to explore what help could be available.
For example, would it help if the exam papers were in a larger format, or if she used a particular type of pencil, etc. I think it is worth talking about this now rather than waiting until afterwards. After all the worst thing they could say it that they can do nothing, but it is likely that they can do something to help. I presume that your daughter is under a consultant and so ringing their office and asking for a letter confirming her condition should be fine.
Here in Birmingham I know the King Edward schools ask those with any special needs to apply earlier than the usual deadline, so that may apply in Gloucs too.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now