Taking the test in a neighbouring borough?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dani*

Taking the test in a neighbouring borough?

Post by dani* »

Rumour goes Bexley admission criteria will not change in time for the September 2011 intake children. This will probably mean the pass mark will be very high again. Anyone from Bexley considering taking the test in a neighbouring borough? I was wondering if one would need to apply to take the test to the local LEA or the schools directly. :?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Dani, don't listen to the rumour mill. Bexley Council are in the middle of trying to sort things out for this year. Whether it happens is another thing.
What is anticipated is that there are going to be even more ooc applicants for 2011 intake so if nothing is put into place for 2011 intake then the pass mark will go even higher than this year.

Cover all bases and go for the Kent test.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Do Bexley use national standardisation like they do in Kent? If not, that could be why the Bexley pass mark appears high in comparison to Kent.

Sorry this post is more thinking out loud rather than knowing the facts. :roll:
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Hi Mitasol, no Bexley just selects the top 27% of all those sitting the tests.
Most Bexley residents sit the tests, but the system is subject to huge variations depending on the numbers of ooc candidates who sit the tests.
dani*

Post by dani* »

Tracy wrote:Dani, don't listen to the rumour mill. Bexley Council are in the middle of trying to sort things out for this year. Whether it happens is another thing.

Cover all bases and go for the Kent test.
Thanks Tracy,

Do we know when Bexley council will produce their booklet for the 2011 intake?

Would be a bonus if things get sorted out in time, but if not would need a plan B. I'm not sure of it would be worthwhile sitting Kent, especially now that Dartford has changed their admissions policy. A few weeks ago I had a knock on the door from conservative canvassers for the local local elections. When I asked about the secondary school intake in Bexley the lady said she would find out and give us a call. She did phone us some time later and said the system, especially the top 180 was under review but that it would not change in time for the children who will take the test next September.

Hopefully it will be sorted out in time but if not will need to start preparing for the Kent tests as we have not done any NVR so far, also will need to find out about the Dartford schools and how to register for the Kent test.

One way or the other I would like Bexley to make up it's mind as to what they are going to do next September so that at least we know where we stand.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I was told in my meeting that it's around June that the booklet is produced.
If it were me I would get several versions all ready to go so that the correct one is rolled out as soon as a decision is made.

The discussions are going on as we speak so how anyone can say categorically that there will/will not be changes for 2011 is misleading others.

You just need to be aware that any changes may be implicated this year, maybe next, maybe not at all. Just be prepared for all outcomes.

As for Kent, follow the links on ther website, it's easy to register for the tests. The hardest bit is practising that nvr. Start it now.
Ok, you might not possibly get DGGS but you would get Wilmington.
Just think of the alternative here... :shock:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

You can no longer rely on getting a consultation every year.
Admissions Code 2010 [url]http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/sacode/downloads/admissions-code-feb10.pdf[/url] wrote: All admission authorities must consult by
1 March in the determination year on the
admission arrangements for those schools
for which they are responsible, unless (in the
case of admission arrangements for entry
in 2011-12 and subsequent years) their
admission arrangements were consulted on
in one or both of the two previous years and
they are the same as the arrangements since
the last consultation.
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

Tracy wrote:Ok, you might not possibly get DGGS but you would get Wilmington.
Just think of the alternative here... :shock:

So do we think DGGS will be virtually impossible to get into now (from Bexleyheath)?

PS - nice to have a post on the Bexley forum, it's been very quiet for a while.
dani*

Post by dani* »

Unless you live less than 1 mile from the school or in one of the named parishes it may prove difficult.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

High scorers should still get into DGGS, what that is I couldn't tell you as it changes every year. From the Bexley area, the closer you are to that 420 the better the chance.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now