sherry_d

Help Please

Post by sherry_d »

If A = 10
B=20
C=30
D=40
E=50,
what is the answer to this sum written as a letter?

D divided by B X A =

(Sorry couldnt find the division sign on keyboard)

The second question below I need an easier way of explaining the answer

(rover [roar] board)
(flume [?] tails)

The multiple choice answers are lets, fame, mail, flea, fail

Is there any easier way of explaining how to get the answer when you have some letter appearing a few times like r?
Impossible is Nothing.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

B x A = 200
D/200 = 40/200 = 4/20 = 1/5
mmm maybe answer = A/E
patricia

Post by patricia »

(rover [roar] board)
(flume [?] tails)

I call these where does the letter come from.

Look at the middle word.

Where does the letter R come from, it comes the first letter on the left, find the letter in the same position from the second line = F

The letter R also comes from the 5th letter on the left = E and the 4th letter on the right = L

Put all the letters on top of each other.

F
E
L

Where does the letter O come from = 2nd letter on the left = L and the 2nd letter on the right = A

Put the letters on top of each other, you now have

F L
E A
L

Continue with where does A and R come from?

F-- L I- F
E-- A-- E
L------- L

Answer = Fail

The child would only have to write down the the sequence I have highlighted in red, these are easy 100% marks.

Patricia
patricia

Post by patricia »

A=10
B=20
C=30
D=40
E=50,
what is the answer to this sum written as a letter?

D divided by B X A =
Put the numbers under the letters.

As no brackets have been offered [ NFER do not use brackets] the sum is always worked from left to right.

D / B x A
40 20 10

40 / 20 = 2
2 x 10 = 20

Answer = B
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ah - now theres clever - my maths teacher would have had a dicky fit if I didn't put the brackets in!!! Still now without the brackets we end up with a very sensible answer!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Thank you for explaining it Patricia, I was trying to use BODMAS and as you say there are no brackets so that makes B the answer. You always explain it so brilliantly :D

Putting the letter on each other just make so much sense and makes it easier to work out the answer, as I ended up confused myself and couldnt explain it very well with my long winded explanation.

Herman no star this time :wink:
Impossible is Nothing.
Bizziemum

Post by Bizziemum »

(rover [roar] board)
(flume [?] tails)

Is there any easier way of explaining how to get the answer when you have some letter appearing a few times like r?
Another way of doing this would be by process of elimination (using multiple choice to your advantage). In this case find a unique letter ie. the 'a' in roar which comes from the 3rd position in the word on the right. This corresponds to the 'i' in bottom set. This immediatly rules out lets, fame, and flea as answers. We now also know that the 2nd letter is an 'a' and the 4th an 'l'. This now leaves the the first letter corresponding with 'r' which could either be 'f', 'e' ('l' already used with 4th r) which means 'fail' is the answer.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Bizziemum

Agree that the child can use the multiple choice to their advantage. However at the start of my tuition I always teach the whole process first so the child is fully aware on what is being asked for and how to approach these questions.

Sometimes too much time can be spent looking at the answer sheet, when the question is easy and and only takes approx 15/20 seconds to complete in the first place.

Learn the process first then if relevant start eliminating from answer sheet. Personally I eventually teach the children to only find the first and last letters as most of the time this is enough information to find the answer. In this instance the word Fail or Fame would have been found, therefore one more letter is required to crack the question.

Patricia
Rose petal

Post by Rose petal »

For maths questions I found the details on this website good.

http://www.mathsisfun.com/operation-order-bodmas.html

I think this question would only need brackets if you did want to do the "X" before the divide. Otherwise it is left to right with the divide and "X".

Rose Petal