Year 6 SATS results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pipkin

Year 6 SATS results

Post by pipkin »

Hi

Does anyone know how much Grammar schools take notice of primary schools test results for new entrants in year 7?javascript:emoticon(':)')
Smile
doodles

Post by doodles »

Interesting question Pipkin, 'cos I am not sure that our school does any Yr 6 testing apart from the end of year exams? What happens then?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

The Grammar school my 2 eldest boys attend did not take any notice of the SAT results, and used Y7 as their basis for 'sets' for Y8 pnwards. That is not to say that others do things differently!
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

It depends on the school. The school I work at used to do its own CAT assessments at the start of year 7, but now (because of cost cutting) will rely on Yr6 SATs.
pipkin

Post by pipkin »

Very interesting. I wasn't too bothered about SATS tests but wondered whether it was worth doing a little bit of refresher work on the maths. (This has never been strong point but I know DD can do it when reminded.) It would seem from what you are saying that it might be!
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

We are doing some SAT practice books, more because I really want DS to show his capabilities after the disasterous KT. The school he has been allocated don't take any notice of them as they have already done entrance tests to put the children in what they consider to be the most appropriate groups, so we could have just not bothered.

I would say if your DD is competitive do some practice, if you feel it is not important though don't worry about it :)
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

Both my DCs grammar schools did their own CATs at the beginning of year 7. Neither were streamed in year 7 however. My DD has been streamed for maths only now she is in year 8, 3 streams, one group of A1, one of A2 and numerous groups of everyone else.
Blue Peter

Post by Blue Peter »

Our HT has said that there might not be any SATs this year anyhow, as they are voting on strike action . I don't know whether or not they've voted yet and what the outcome was - will look it up.
Blue Peter

Post by Blue Peter »

Found this on the Independent Website : Don't know how accurate it is, as haven't checked as am about to go out

Teachers will refuse to hand out Sats papers

By Richard Garner

Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Heads and teachers are planning a campaign of industrial action to stop national curriculum tests for 600,000 11-year-olds.

The National Union of Teachers and National Association of Head Teachers will refuse to deliver the tests in maths and English. Their action, scheduled to start on 10 May, is expected to lead to widespread cancellations. The two unions represent 85 per cent of heads in the 16,000 schools where children will sit the tests.
mother night

Post by mother night »

Our Head asked for opinions from parents regarding the SATS, I think they are going ahead though and I am also led to believe that the school my DD is going to streams according to the results. Does my DD care about this? No - should I be asking her to practise? Should I leave it so the school gets a true picture of her work ethic ( not ability as I know she has that)?

It's at a time like this that one realises that the 11+ is only the beginning.

MN