NVR Practice Questions P1 and P2

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ontarget

NVR Practice Questions P1 and P2

Post by ontarget »

Hi,
I am a bit confused about the practice questions P1 and P2 at the start of every section of the NFER sample NVR tests. The answer sheet leaves these questions blank (i.e. no answer is provided on the answer sheet) unlike the example question, which has an answer displayed on the answer sheet. How are the tests administered in real life? Will my DS have to complete the P1 and P2 questions and will the answers count for the overall score, or will he be given the answers to these practice questions as familiarisation? Are they given a few minutes to look at the practice questions before the timed test starts, or are the practice questions included in the time limit of the overall test? Also each of the 5 sections for one NVR test has separate practice questions. If the practice question part is untimed, does this mean that the real test is administered in 5 separate sections with the clock stopped and started 5 separate times, after each practice section has been looked at?

Hope this makes some sense, I'm dazed and confused :?
sherry_d

Re: NVR Practice Questions P1 and P2

Post by sherry_d »

ontarget wrote: If the practice question part is untimed, does this mean that the real test is administered in 5 separate sections with the clock stopped and started 5 separate times, after each practice section has been looked at?
In Kent yes they start and stop. Last year I hear it was 9mins for 18questions so I think it depends where you are if you let us know the county.

I however want to know the answer to the practice questions too if they are given extra mins to look at these or they have to do it in the allocated time per section?
Impossible is Nothing.
ontarget

Post by ontarget »

thanks for the reply sherry_d. Very useful to know that they stopped and started in Kent. I am in the Redbridge, Essex area.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

In Kent the practice questions are not done in the allocated time. They are separate. In other words the 9 mins didn't start until after the practice questions had been done - at least this was the case last year and I would assume it will be the same in future years.

Sherry - it isn't set in stone that there will be 18 questions in 9 mins. The number of questions per section apparently changed a couple of years ago and the some of the children were thrown by this. So prepare your DD for this possibility. That said I would be surprised if the notional time allowed per question changed.
ontarget

Post by ontarget »

thanks for the info Twinkle. Are the answers to the practice questions given to the children, so that they can see if they have understood the concept, or do they just do the practice questions without knowing if they have got them correct?
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I'm not sure. I will ask DS when he gets home.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

If it is Nfer the usual format is, instructions for administrator,
Look at the example and see which letter has been circled.......Now do the two practice questions, put your pencils down when you have finnished.
Wait until all the pupils have finished before continuing.
The answers are C and E....You now have 8 minutes to do the 16 numbered questions. Begin now.
The technique is to use the practice time to do the practice questions and also look ahead at visible questions to try and gain some time.

steve
ontarget

Post by ontarget »

great info stevew61. So it looks like the practice questions are certainly not counted towards the test score, since the invigilator reads the answers out aloud at the end of the practice session. So in theory it would be possible to not pay a lot of attention to practice questions and look over the real questions instead.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

ontarget wrote:So in theory it would be possible to not pay a lot of attention to practice questions and look over the real questions instead.
During the practice questions you must not turn the page, so you can probably only see a few of the real questions.

I would suggest looking at the practice questions to make sure you are on the right track, but gaining a couple of lots of 30 seconds also helps.

This is the common nfer format but they can vary it, more questions in a section or shorter time? Best to be prepared for anything!!

steve
ontarget

Post by ontarget »

thanks stevew61, great advice
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now