Does Boris the Bold have a point?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Marylou

Does Boris the Bold have a point?

Post by Marylou »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/colu ... ities.html

Answers on a postcard please (or here of course!) :)
Marylou
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Interesting article, I assume it works the other way too though, just that not many UK students take up the opportunity to study in other parts of the EU, otherwise we must be daft here :shock:
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I'm a bit confused - the article implies that EU students are being treated more favourably than UK students in that they have their tuition fees paid by the taxpayer, but then asks how the money will be claimed back once they are earning over 15K - isn't that exactly the same as for British students in the UK? My understanding was that the fees did not have to be repaid until the student is in employment and earning a certain level. So it's not actually a payment but a loan. :?
Marylou
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

The terms are the same but there isn't really any mechanism for the loan to be recovered from overseas students, they have to be quite proactive about trying to repay.

Mike
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

Sounds crazy to me - article suggests we end up paying for EU students' education (as we can't hunt them all down to reclaim money they've borrowed) and they get free education in scotland? But why? Why can't english students attend scottish unis under the same terms. Is this correct?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Scottish students in England pay fees so English students in Scotland have to pay. Scottish students in European universities don't pay so EU students don't have to pay fees in Scotland.

English students in EU universities generally don't have to pay fees so in theory we get the better of the bargain - it's only the fact that few English students travel that makes it a poor deal.

I think I might try and encourage mine towards their grandfather's alma mater:

http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergraduate/fees

Mike
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

Presumably we apply the charging rules across the board - Scotland isn't doing so - it is applying a different rule to the English - how can that be fair?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

It's England that's applying the different rule, Scotland is just being more spiteful about it than everyone else.

Mike
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

mike1880 wrote:It's England that's applying the different rule, Scotland is just being more spiteful about it than everyone else.

Mike
Thats what devolution does. It allows a certain level of autonomy to allow it to spend more money on certain things. I don't think Scotland is being spiteful, it's not as if Scottish students coming south are getting free tuition.

Perhaps Scotland values education of its own students more highly than England does. :wink:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Looking for help wrote:Thats what devolution does. It allows a certain level of autonomy to allow it to spend more money on certain things. I don't think Scotland is being spiteful, it's not as if Scottish students coming south are getting free tuition.
Actually, I imagine they do it because they'd be totally swamped with applications if they paid the fees for English students. Scotland is psychologically within reach where a Dutch/Belgian/French/Irish university isn't.
andyb wrote:The schools concerned are going against their own code of practice (unless there is some get-out clause for 6th form students)..."PLEASE NOTE Admission to State Boarding Schools in the UK is limited to children who are nationals of the UK and are eligible to hold a full UK passport, or those who are nationals of other European Union countries or those who have the right of residence in the UK.
Yes, I thought that as well. Which schools are recruiting overseas?

Mike
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now