11+/GCSE

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dd01

11+/GCSE

Post by dd01 »

My DS is 11yrs old and he is in yr 6.
He scores very high in his 11+ maths(90%98%) and he is a level 5a in school. Some people say if you score very high in maths(11+) in yr 6 then you should be able to get an A star in GCSE. Does anybody know whether thats true? Also can you get an A at A-LEVEL if your like this?

Mod: Duplicate post - please see topic in GCSEs - Topic Locked
Daogroupie

Maths results

Post by Daogroupie »

Lots and lots of children are at 5a in Year Six. The entire top two tables in my dd's class were at 5a in Year Five. And lots of children score very high maths results in actual exams, not just practice papers. We know someone who scored 96% in the DAO exam last year which was sat by 835 students. It was marked out of 50 so this candidate only got two wrong. Your dc has five years to go before GCSE's and seven years to go until A levels! Anything can happen, nobody would be saying now what results they would get in 5 years time. What is important to to keep learning. We moved onto KS3 papers in Year Five. Go to the primary maths challenge website and download those papers and do them, they have about 3 years of past papers. Go to Habs boys and download their maths papers, order the CSSE past maths papers. Keep challenging your dc, never stop. Encourage the use of different methods. I have seen many children who got Level Three in Key Stage One maths in Year Two be completely overtaken by children from the bottom sets (my own younger dd has gone from bottom set to top table top set). It is critical for children to have a peer group and not be the top all the time. I have seen "gifted and talented academic" children fail to get into selective schools this year because they have spent too many years being the bright one of the class. There are many new topics in Maths in the next five years which your ds may well not find so easy as current eleven plus and KS2 maths. Have you tried your ds on any level six or KS3 papers?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

year 11 is a long way away and a lot can happen between then and now!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now