Sprained ankle advice/experiences please (ideally positive!)

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ourmaminhavana

Sprained ankle advice/experiences please (ideally positive!)

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I'm pretty frazzled with a bag of frozen wedges wrapped around my foot and no idea as to how long sprained ankles take to heal. I realise that it depends on the degree of the sprain. I twisted it on Wednesday and it was agony when i did it, however it then didn't hurt when I wasn't walking on it which I took to be a hopeful sign. I tried to carry on driving and walking my little girl to pre school- by necessity really- until Thursday night when I realised that it was getting more swollen rather than less. Also, not safe to drive and not covered by insurance if I'm driving with a swollen ankle. Logistically very difficult not to do things with two children who need driving to school etc. however guiltily organised others to fetch the kids today. Fortunately hubby home tomorrow for the weekend. Am doing the RICE thing, but any other advice gratefully received. How have others coped? How long did it take to heal? What worked and what didn't and when should I see a significant improvement?
On the plus side it's made me appreciate how lucky I am to have my health. It's been like a portent of old age as I hobble around the house with my four year old encouraging me and holding out her hand for me!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Er... I did this 13 years ago and it still aches... well I was preggers at the time at the ligaments sort of gave way. ... don't even ask about the crutches

HOWEVER - that was the exception and if you seriously do the RICE thing, particularly the E bit then it will get better soon. Lots of people do the E bit with their foot on a stool in front of them, the foot has to be above heart height -preferably lie on sofa and put leg up on back of sofa, meanwhile get the family running round after you ....
doodles

Post by doodles »

Did exactly the same thing. One minute I was walking down the school drive and the next I was flat on my face on CCTV!

Went to minor injuries and then did RICE properly and it did get better in a week or so though I did have to wear flat shoes for a few weeks - not too bad in the summer though. Good luck.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

What's the RICE thing please? You can tell we've never had a sprained ankle in our house and I'd like to know, well, because I'm nosey :shock: :lol: :lol:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Shall we guess??

Rest Imbibe (alcohol) Chocolate Elavation?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Radical Ignorant Cockney Elephant :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elavation

according to an internet source.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I'm sorry to hear that you are having an ankle problem Ourmaminhavana. I do hope that it feels a lot better soon.
Enjoy the enforced rest - preferably sunbathing in the garden with a cocktail in your hand! :lol:
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks I'm beginning to cheer up already. I particularly like Ed's mum's suggestions :D
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

It's an opportunity NOT to be missed. You'll regret it if you don't...
If not sunbathing, then lying down and reading or something else entirely selfish. When do most of us get the opportunity to do that?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now