Exchange trips

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moose

Exchange trips

Post by moose »

Hello,
My son is going for his first exchange trip to France in a week time. Has anyone with the experience could shed a light of what to expect /take with you for the trip? His level of French is pretty basic, so my (not his) concern is how he is going to communicate. He is going there to have fun, not to learn French and according to him everyone going for the trip has the same attitude towards learning (hard to believe!)
KB

Post by KB »

Plenty of clothing so isn't relying on host family for washing. Own toiletries & towels. Few books for reading in case he doesn't 'click' with the family & needs some 'early nights'.
Sufficient Euros to treat the family to ice creams etc if they take him out & about.
Small 'English' gifts for each member of the family/ a family present.
Any appropriate sportswear if he knows the other boy's interests.
School bag, pencil case etc if they are going to school in France.

Usually they see quite a bit of the others on the trip & group activities are arranged so he shouldn't feel too isolated.

Might be useful to practice a few 'thank you' type phrases - always go down well!
Maybe some 'family'/ 'home'/ holiday photos - can help as a focus for talking to the host family.

I think it can vary so much on the family/child you are paired with.
moose

Post by moose »

Oh thank you. You have mentioned few things, which would not cross my mind eg family photos/books. Good idea. My DS wants to take IPod. I do not think it is appropriate. He might isolate himself from the family and start loking like an English computer geek i/o trying to communicate. On the other hand if everyone else has it he might feel bad.
Actually , I think I am starting to be radiculous here (let him feel bad without it once).
KB

Post by KB »

I guess it may depend on how he is travelling - if its a long coach journey then an iPod might be reasonable.
Depends on your DS - but could you agree he doesn't use it when he is actually with his French family? (Or not let him take his charger :)
moose

Post by moose »

They are going by plane. I like 'forgetting ' the charger idea. :)
KB

Post by KB »

Might want to make sure he understands about cost of using mobile phone abroad - even if he is just texting his friends who are also on the trip!

Assume the school have given you the contact number for the family he is staying with - some rural locations can be tricky for mobile reception.

Hope he has a great time - even if he doesn't improve much with the language it'll be a good 'growing up' experience!

One last thought - we always put spending money in at least two different places so if one lot goes missing there is a fall back supply. Also have a small amount of change for drinks/snacks handy for spending en-route so don't haveto get out the main 'stash' from the money belt :)
moose

Post by moose »

Thanks again. I am very impressed with your practicality!
KB

Post by KB »

Just years of experience :)
cam

Post by cam »

On these trips there is always a desire to spend all of their money - so don't expect any change, and on a less delicate note all that sitting around whilst travelling, not drinking enough water and ton(ne)s of french bread doesn't aid the digestive system. Large water bottle and high fibre snacks essential. A decent gift for the host will probably be a good investment and a phase book. Oui, merci, oui merci, ahh non mais merci...and shake hands.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now