manchester grammar school rip off

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tirlam

Independent school payment of fees in lieu

Post by tirlam »

I've just had a letter through from Manchester grammar demanding first term's payments of fees even though my son is not now going to the school.

T
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

oooops - I think it usually a full term required , ie the whole of the summer term... when did you tell them?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

This is common practise and although it may seem unfair they cannot have time wasters who may have stopped another child from having a place. I am not saying you are but they have to take a harsh line whether we like it or not. You may deem it as a rip off but if the school cannot fill the place then they have been ripped off as has a child who may have gone there but had to choose an inferior school because someone not intending to accept the place did so.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

suggest you have a chat with them and explain the change in circumstances (they will assume you can pay as you had been planning to pay for the next 7 years)
I suppose it will depend also on whether they can fill the place?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Did you tell them before the beginning of their school term?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
fm

Post by fm »

In Manchester Grammar School's case, this is a rip-off because I am sure they can fill the place many times over. Yes, it is fair enough for a school that may not be able to fill the place but I doubt that is the case with MGS.
I think fairer would be 10% of the first term fees to cover the inconvenience and paperwork involved in offering to the next in line.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Fm,

I'm sure MGS can fill it's places but what about a lesser inde that will now lose a pupil who can now go to MGS? Often in these cases a school will help a pupil out with the first terms fees when this has happened but often not so therefore why should a parent pay for two terms of fees because there is now an opening at their first choice and the parent that has intentionally messed the school, parent and potentially another inde in the chain about and get away Scot free?

If you play the game then accept the consequences.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Looking back at Tirlam's posts, the problem seems to be that Tirlam received the offer of a GS place for her son on March 31st, but only informed MGS that their places was not required last week - a gap of around 3 weeks. Term started at MGS on April 12th.

Tirlam, the school is within its rights on this - all private schools set the same condition, rightly or wrongly. All you can do is throw yourself on their mercy.
fm

Post by fm »

While I can see why a less popular independent will lose out but I still can't see how MGS is going to lose out as they are going to have a term's fees and a whole year's fees from someone else.

Anyway, Tipsy, I have never been remotely tempted to play this particular game so I personally have never had to worrry about the consequences.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

tirlam wrote:Is this normal practice. I have given them 5 months notice,but they are saying its not a full term 9based on contract i signed).
I think its quite normal for most schools that you pay a term' s fees if you take up a place and then decides you dont want it. You really have to read the terms properly and their defination of a term could be different from state school one and therefore why it may not be 9 weeks as you calculate it.

I am sure I would too HATE to pay that but playing devils advocate what did you expect the school to do? Imagine they now have to find someone to take your DC's place and they could have let other people down who really wanted the school but may not need the place now.
Impossible is Nothing.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now