German gcse

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tubby

German gcse

Post by tubby »

Hello all,

My sister's daughter is really finding german difficult, she enjoyed it in year 9, but not in year 10, her mum has now written to school asking whether it would be possible to drop the subject, because my DN says she will get a D or lower, in fear of a bad grade my sister had to make this decison.

Do you think there will be consequeces to the action taken?

Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Is she taking another MFL? It is possible to carry on without one but whereas many universities used to require GCSE MFL regardless of the course , the trend these days is for them to prefer one - and with UNI places getting tighter it may become more impotant

Best see what she wants to do in the future before taking decisions / see why she is having problems .... do you know any native speakers locally who could help her ? Try out podcasts etc etc ?
KB

Post by KB »

Is it not compulsory to take a MFL in KS4?

Would certainly recommend trying to find out what has gone wrong and seriously consider finding a tutor for 1-1 support.
Our experience is that a good tutor can make a huge difference in a relatively short time.

In the long run there are valuable lessons to be learned from finding ways to overcome difficulties - including with academic study - so this might be a good opportunity for school/parents/tutor to provide support in dealing with the problems rather than opting out.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

KB wrote:Is it not compulsory to take a MFL in KS4?

Don't think it is any longer :roll: :wink: :cry:
moved

Post by moved »

Ds's school are doing accelerated German (GCSE next year in yr9) and he is finding this year boring and not liking it, having loved it last year. Maybe this is normal with German. We are looking for a tutor to give him some joy back in the subject.
Amber

Post by Amber »

It is no longer compulsory to study a MFL in KS4.

(Interestingly though, it will soon be compulsory to study one at primary school!)

I would warn against dropping German for the reason suggested by herman...if the DC is considering an academic course at a university. If you can get a D, you can get a C with some support. Try to get some 1-1 tuition, and as already suggested, podcasts, online news in German, even newspapers and magazines. It's always worth speaking to the school too, and explaining the trouble - it might be that the teacher could help.

http://www.bravo.de/online/render.php?render=000050

http://www.c6-magazin.de/

are links to online German youth magazines. There are loads more: if you search deutsche Jugendmagazin you should be able to find them with a basic knowledge of the language.

Tell her to stick with it: it's a great language!

And I would love to help your DS, Moved, but you live too far away. Move again?!
moved

Post by moved »

Might make my commute to work a bit tricky and OH works in Whitehall. I liked living in Cheltenham, although it wasn't the easiest place to be an outsider.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I liked living in Cheltenham, although it wasn't the easiest place to be an outsider.
You are not wrong there. I posted the same sentiments on the Gloucestershire thread recently.

Viel Gluck mit dem Sohn!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Amber - thanks for the german links!
tubby

Post by tubby »

Thank you all for your replies,no she is not taking another MFL, l will get my sister to read your replies so that she can make an informed decision.

Thank you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now