Travel fun!!!!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Frustratedmum

Travel fun!!!!

Post by Frustratedmum »

Hmmm, firstly really couldn't decide where to start this, so hope this section is ok :lol:

I'm completely torn in two at present, our first choice of school is looking very hopeful, we also are lucky enough to already have a place (at risk of being greedy :oops: :lol: ).

The dilemma is that our 1st choice is, in mileage, as far as our 2nd choice school, however 1st choice goes into the next county, Kent-Medway. Therefore the difference in travel costs is vast, to get to 2nd choice will cost us around £50 for a whole year, to get to 1st choice will cost us around £700 per year and probably often more due to having to rely on trains.
Doesn't seem like a lot of money but when times are tough as now, it really is.

When does this get easy?????????? :x :wink:
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Your first choice was your first choice for a reason. Is that reason (s) strong enough to fork out the extra money? Is your first choice also the first choice of your DC? If the answer to both of the above is yes, then .....
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I think you'll always wonder "was if" DS had gone to the first choice.

After all that you have gone through Frustrated Mom to try and secure first choice. I say its definately worth more than the £700 a year so go for it. I am cheering you for the first choice. :D
Impossible is Nothing.
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

It is DS' first choice too which makes it a no-brainer really but hey ho, it's what keeps us going :lol:
Thanks for the support :D
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

You have made the right decision, but with petrol rumoured to hit £1.50 per litre by August I understand your feeling about wanting to do less miles.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

In time you may find other parents form your area going to your 1st choice and costs could be reduced. Is the school worth £650 more each year than your second choice? If so then you have your answer unless you can't afford it.

When uniform or travel seems expensive then I always split the cost by each day they would be at school. So the pair of shoes ends up being pennies a day. This helps me to not find it so galling at the time!
andyb

Post by andyb »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:When uniform or travel seems expensive then I always split the cost by each day they would be at school. So the pair of shoes ends up being pennies a day. This helps me to not find it so galling at the time!
This is the way I look at it too. I am still cross that we have to pay DS's transport costs because we live just within the 3 mile limit, but when you look at it as fare per journey and bear in mind he is getting almost door-to-door service then it is more cost effective than me driving him to and fro each day or getting public transport once petrol, convenience, the social aspect are all taken into account. I still quake when I write out the cheque at the beginning of term, though :wink:
doodles

Post by doodles »

I have to say I would go for the first choice - it was that for a reason. Divide it between 52 and it only equates to just over £10 per week. I think I would have to have a really hard think before turning the place down.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
mystery

Post by mystery »

Have you looked fully at your LEA's policy on help with home to school transport? It is usually partially explained in the LEA admission booklet for the authority in which you live. Also need to read the DSCF booklet to see what they are obliged to help with, and what is non-statutory help.

If you can possibly afford it and no help is available, go for your first choice. If times get really hard I'm sure your child could move to your second choice.
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your replies, as usual very helpful :D, you're all right, if you break it down it doesn't seem so bad. I always get irritated, to say the least, that we have to pay so much for a good education for those who really want it!! :twisted:
Well, we'll see how the appeal goes first, then go from there.
Doodles, I have been told that even for our very closest grammar, we're entitled to nothing :( , thanks for the advice though as I will double check with all authorities, just in case they ever decide to help :lol: !