I don't know what to do !

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Suey12

I don't know what to do !

Post by Suey12 »

For those of you who don't know our story - briefly this is it ...

My DS passed entrance exam for our No. 1 Indie, but was put on the waitlist. :D (In the meantime we were given our first choice State school)

We subsequently received news that all places had been filled at the Indie, therefore there was no place for DS. :(
I followed-up with a phone call saying that we would wish to be informed if a place came up - they were very agreeable to this.

My question now is - do I call the school every few weeks just to keep our name in the frame, as it were, or should I leave it to them to call us? (I think I've answered my own question here, but would appreciate your views please !!!!)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think once a month will be enough. They will remember you if you have been calling frequently. I know schools where I made a one off enquiry and then I called back a year later and they remembered me. Of course it depends how common your name is! :wink:
Thea

Post by Thea »

Not many Mrs Tipsys then...? :lol:
Best Regards,
Thea
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

The youngest always leaves a lasting impact! :x

:lol:
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

Suey, It really depends on how much you want the place....or are you happy that your DC will be at 1st choice state school?? If you make a few calls then get a place and then turn it down (which of course you are entitled to) then it may be a lot of worry over nothing. If you want the place then go for it....call frequently and don't give up.
NorthLondonMum

Post by NorthLondonMum »

To be honest the school have made it clear that they are full. If something happens between now and the end of term to change that, then I am sure they will want to fill the place and will ring you. I would maybe make a call after half term and just before the end of (their) term at most. You run the risk of winding them up if you do more than that.
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

This happened to us with DD, and instead of phoning the school intermittently once we'd been told they were full, I wrote a letter reiterating that it was our first choice school, stating briefly why I thought it was the best fit for DD, and asking to be kept informed if any places should become available. That way I was able to draw a line under it, look forward with DD to her starting at the state school, and feel that I'd made my case to the indie without tormentig myself every few weeks with hopeful phone calls followed by crushing disappointment.

(They eventually wrote to us earlier this year - DD is now in year 8 at the state school and very happy there. We wouldn't dream of moving her now.)
mystery

Post by mystery »

I'm not sure if, seeing as you are on a waiting list, calling them would make any difference either way. If they don't operate the waiting list strictly according to some clear criteria (e.g. first come first served, highest score etc) then you would need to know how they do operate it (officially or unofficially) and go down that route if you really wanted the place. e.g. build them a new sixth form block etc!!
Suey12

Post by Suey12 »

I think there is probably a fine line between showing a keen interest and getting on their nerves.

I know my DS is on a short list, and possibly if I call every so often (not frequently) it shows a continued interest in their school, now that probably the majority of pupils have been offered places elsewhere and have accepted them.

My thinking was that if a place comes up, our name will be in their minds as being interested, as opposed to just a name on the list. Perhaps they would go to someone who they know is definitely interested.

I don't know how these things work, it's very upsetting that DS has got so close to our favourite school, but there is nothing we can do about it.

I used to be naive enough to believe that if you could afford Inde schooling, then you could go there. Now we are at that stage in DS' education I know that is not the case.

And unfortuantely we certainly cannot afford to build them a new Wing.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I totally understand how you feel Suey as I'm sure I'll have this problem with my youngest in a couple of years! :(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now