How the other half live

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Should these kids be sent to boarding school?

No
21%
Yes
79%

Total votes: 34

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T.i.p.s.y

How the other half live

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Did anyone watch this last night? I found it especially interesting as a family from a previous episode were all given full bursaries from the age of 7-18 at top Public schools.

It was clear that the dynamics of the family were beginning to change but this was because the eldest didn't want to come home to her tiny house in a very rough London estate. I felt sorry for their mother in some ways as she missed them so much but the relief she must feel that her daughters won't become unfortunate statistics must outweigh any negative aspect.

So for those that are anti boarding would you still say that it would be better for these girls to stay at their inner city comp (can't imagine the catchment was good) and continue to witness murders in the playground over the road, and probably end up pregnant, with few qualifications or potentially dead? It may seem extreme but that is the path most likely faced when kids grow up in these environments - even with good parents - as the pressure is extreme and the prospects low. :(
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Sorry didn't see the prog last night - really don't have time

Trouble is that removing people to a school may not actually change anything..... have heard the description "reversion to type" used about this.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I have heard that argument but then surely independent schools shouldn't bother with bursaries then. I also believe that these kids and the mother were good eggs but placed in a harsh environment even a good egg can turn bad - I should know!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hello,
I didn't see last night's programme but went on 4 player with my morning cuppa.Last night's wasn't there so caught up with an earlier episode.I now will look terrible(or more so :roll: ) all day as I ended up blubbing.It was the episode (Episode 2 series 2) where the very wealthy family from Bucks help a single parent family in debt.If I had seen a trailer perhaps I might have cringed at how "set up" it could have been.Actually it was very moving and all who were involved were very genuine people.
What struck me from the point of view of what we discuss on this site, is how bright and lovely both girls were; the one living in poverty and the privileged child.
So much gets said on threads about the behaviour/ intelligence of children who don't have the same opportunities as some of their more privileged counterparts.These two girls with their differing circumstances and(without the programme's help) very different futures, show that less advantaged children can be just as bright, full of social skills, confidence,manners, imagination and joie de vivre.
A really good programme and will watch the episode from last night as soon as it goes on 4 player.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

I completely agree Tipsy. I had this discussion with my OH last night and realised if that were me and mine, that I would not hesitate to take up the offer of boarding and private education for my chlidren.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

What I have noticed about everyone of these episodes is that at least one, if not both, of the wealthy parents came from a working class family. It would have been nice to see a family who'd never seen the "other side" engage in such a programme. Could this imply something?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I think it means that those who've been there appreciate what they have more and know the problems those left behind face so are wanting to help in a more direct way.

Also those who've always had money give in different ways and it's probably not crossed their minds (yet) to get involved in this way.

I didn't watch last night (I have lit recorded to view over the weekend) but I have watched other episodes. I find it all very moving and just hope the help that's given has a long term and lasting effect and isn't just a short term flash in the pan.

Tipsy, so you've turned bad eh? Tell us more :shock: :lol: :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I was a good egg, grew up in very disadvantage circumstances, turned VERY bad :shock: :oops: , but then by nearly going over the edge came good again. Not everyone is so fortunate. :(
weepiglet

Post by weepiglet »

What an amazing and powerful documentary! I saw the first episode when it was first shown: the whole series has been fascinating.

It's fantastic that the girls have been given an escape route, but I couldn't help wondering whether the best of all possible worlds might have been for them to have been able to attend a great day school, locally. That's not because I'm anti the idea of boarding--I'm not--but because (as was demonstrated very clearly by the film) it's going to be so enormously difficult for them to manage the constant transitions between their old and new environments, and also because I felt so desperately sad for their poor, isolated mother, who has done such a fantastic job in impossible circumstances in making them into the lovely girls that they are.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I understand your thoughts weepiglet but I'm not sure sending them to a day school would help and potentially make things more difficult. Could you imagine them being targets as they walked through their estate every day in posh uniforms and it would not solve the problem of getting involved in the wrong crowds outside of school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now