In Year Appeal Bourne Grammar

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mumanxious

In Year Appeal Bourne Grammar

Post by mumanxious »

Hi,
I would really appreciate some help on my situation. We are Crown Servants returning to Bourne, largely to ensure that our children get a sufficiently challenging education. Son, who will go into Year 9, sat admission test a couple of weeks ago and got scores of VR 121 and NVR 140. Definitely meeting criteria. However school is over subscribed. Can I ask for admission using Fair Access Protocol? If I do does this ruin my chances of Appeal if they offer us a school that we feel is not as suitable as Bourne Grammar School. Have put in an offer on a house very close to the school but worried he won't get in now. Have read everything I can find but am worried that we don't get it right on the day and we let down son.
Any advice?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

You can certainly ask the local authority to consider this - to see what they say.

Some previous threads on the Fair Access Protocol are here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ren#123688
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ren#123688

The appeals process is quite separate, although the local authority is entitled to tell the panel "There is a place available at X school" (they do, at some point, have to find you a place somewhere, if you are resident in their area). You, of course, are equally entitled to point out why a place at Bourne Grammar would better meet your son's needs.
Etienne
Alex

Post by Alex »

You can read Lincolnshire's Fair Access Protocol here:

http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/upload/p ... tocols.pdf

However, you will see that a pupil arriving in-county in-year would have to be deemed "hard to place" for the local authority to direct admission and that would mean that neither the parent nor the LA could find a suitable school place within reasonable distance of the pupil's home. As Lincolnshire have been prepared to send secondary school age children 30 miles away before now and there are likely to be places available in schools far nearer to Bourne it would be highly unlikely that your child would be considered hard to place. The protocol is very much a means of finding a place not a means of getting a child into a particular school.

When you appeal for a Community or Controlled school it is usual for the LA to say what school place it would be able to offer the child and whether free transport would be available.

It is normal for the LA to require some proof of residence before allocating a school place or setting up an appeal. For Crown Servants a posting notice is sufficient - but if this does not tie you in sufficiently to Bourne itself you may need to wait until exchange of contracts on the house.

Very generally speaking appeals to Grammar schools in Lincolnshire for children who live very near to the school (where it is a Community/Controlled school) and where the child has passed the tests have a fairly good chance of success. You will need to present all your relevant arguments for an oversubscription appeal.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now