When did/will you buy the uniform?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ed's mum

When did/will you buy the uniform?

Post by Ed's mum »

I cannot wait to buy my daughter's uniform, but we haven't done it yet. We always said that we would in May (yippee, it's here!) but now we've arrived in May...

Have you bought yours (well, you know what I mean) yet?
waiting in case my daughter has a sudden increase in growth could be a consideration re timing although, as most people start my daughter's school at 13, I think even the smallest size will be too big - so I don't think that's really an issue for us.
It's perhaps more to do with finances for us, it's not cheap.

Have you bought it already? I cannot wait to now! :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

If the girls have a summer uniform then all of the second-hand winter uniform should have been handed in by now so I would go to the shop pronto. Otherwise I would leave as much as possible to the last minute from a growth spurt point of view. You could start getting bits and pieces over a couple of months to start the process and ease you in financially - pe bags, tie, sports socks. Not as exciting but it also means not sewing all the name tapes on in the one go too! :roll:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I don't need to sew name tapes as they get done for me (although I actually quite like tasks like that). No winter/summer uniform really, just the option to wear short sleeves in the summer, I believe.

Good plan though, I might start to get little bits and pieces.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I don't need to sew name tapes as they get done for me
After all our school moves I would pick a school for that reason alone! :o
Amber

Post by Amber »

My DS1 always puts on a growth spurt just after the name tapes have gone in; so we will be in the shop as late as possible in August.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Grandma bought DD's in the June :D :D

Herman gave some sage advice to me last year, saying to keep all the labels/tags on the clothes in case of last minute growth spurt, then they can be taken back.

DD has a summer uniform which they went into at the start of this term, but it's optional.
emmajane1

We've bought DD's

Post by emmajane1 »

I popped my head around the door of the uniform shop with DD and we got grabbed !

As long as all items are kept hung up & with tags on the uniform shop will swop for bigger sizes if she grows. The only thing that looks like we may need a swap is the skirt(s) as they need to be no more than 6cm above or below the knee. They are currently right on the knee & look nice so if she grows b4 August i'll swap for the one in the same waist size but 2 inches longer.

It'll be much easier to just nip in quickly & swop the odd item than get it all when it is really busy in the summer.

My biggest moan is how much seemed unnecessary & overpriced & not really uniform eg a whistle& lanyard (£2) lab coat (£15) & apron (£4) safety glasses (£5) 2 diff coloured pe socks & a £7.50 bag to put pe kit in

We didn't have to buy any of those items when I was at senior school - old shirts for art aprons & no-one wore lab coats!

also indoor and outdoor trainers for pe @ £20-£25 a pair

We've spent £300 b4 buying trainers & school shoes which obviously need to wait until August oh & need to pay £1.50 per letter to get her name embroidered on the PE kit! She isn't allowed to grow again until she is 16!

primary uniform is much cheaper especially as there weren't any "extras"

Still it is cheaper than the other Girls GS near us who wear £43 kilts! which are dry clean only
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

I know that at least 2 girls who will be in your daughter'c class have already bought their skirts and jackets.

Go and enjoy yourself!

I won't be getting my son's yet as he is growing at am alarming rate - also, I haven't had a uniform list yet.
rachag

Post by rachag »

DD also excited by getting her new uniform. We will go in first week of summer hols, mainly because I can face the scrum in August.
Our current school shop has 10% off if you buy in early July. Unfortunately new one doesn't!
Will take above advice about keeping stuff hanging that she may grow out of. Also unless really precious about labelling (current school has special labels in certain places :roll: ) Label Planet as previously recommended here is great - stick and go. Tiny labels that come with sets are good too - at first I didn't think they'd be any use - for pencil cases, geometry sets, calcs etc - even food containers. At least the last get returned unlike if left to DC.
rachag

Post by rachag »

Sorry away for weekend and just read a post about the uniform shop. Will go later this month. Thanks Mike 1880 :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now