Minimum age requirements medicine

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moved

Minimum age requirements medicine

Post by moved »

Can anyone confirm that a student must be 18 at the beginning of the academic year of university entry if they wish to study medicine.
KB

Post by KB »

Certainly the case for UCL.
Maybe you need to check for each course. If there are any which dont have clinical content until the 2nd year it might be different?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think the scottish ones may be younger ??? Actually I reckon it is best if you are over 21!
moved

Post by moved »

Is this because clinical work starts in the second year?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Scottish universities tend to start earlier than england (not sure if this is the case for medicine though). Clinical starts at various stages - some year 1 others year3 (or 4 if 6 year course).

It depends on the maturity of the kid about how they cope with clinical at an early stage ... where are you considering?
moved

Post by moved »

Not one of mine, both in the normal academic year. A friend has a child out of year at a grammar and is concerned about application to med school. Wondering if better to wait until A2 is done and then apply during gap year. Child is very mature. Will be looking at Cambridge, UCL, etc.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

worth having a word with the admission tutors - they will probably have a view - may be happy to interview / consider application during A2 year and offer deferred place while gap year is done.

Maturity is difficult to assess as most kids haven't come up against enough to challenge them - they are much better after a few years.
KB

Post by KB »

I think UCL will consider making an offer for deferred entry.

My DCs are pretty mature for age but wouldn't have wanted them going to Uni at 17 - especially not for a demanding course like medicine.

Would have thought they would be much better making the most of a gap year to gain 'life experience'.

Applying for Uni during year 13 is very stressful so being able to concentrate on studying and then focus on the application after exams would be real luxury :)
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

I think most London unis, Cambridge, Leicester, Liverpool, Bristol, Newcastle state you have to be 18.

Oxford, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds may allow under 18 as will most Scottish unis.

Please don't take this as gospel - check! There was a thread on this in The Student Room so may be worth a look.

Deferred year option sounds good idea.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now