Student Finance

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Posey

Student Finance

Post by Posey »

Hi there, anyone else completed and sent off the Student Finance forms for those of the DC who are starting Uni in September/Oct?

Can you help me? Do I just need to support DS's application if he is going for the non-means tested loans or do I have to supply my P60 and proof of earnings etc.

Confused and many other forms etc to fill out at the moment.

Brain feels like scrambled egg! :shock:
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

If you are not applying for the full finance, ie non means tested then you don't need to support the application, just let your son or daughter fill in the forms on line, then a form will come back for them to sign and return, and the loans should be there for him/her in September. However, not to worry you but I think the deadline for guaranteed arrival of the money by the start of term has passed now, so there may be a delay getting the money in on time, although you can apply any time during the year so it will come.
Posey

Student Finance

Post by Posey »

Hi Looking for Help. Thank you for clearing that up for me. Nothing is straightforward on those forms.......
I know he's missed the deadline to guarantee the money is there when he starts in September - I've nagged and nagged since January - but needless to say now he's realised that he missed the official deadline, everyone is expected to pull out all the stops and drop what they are doing to get his Student Finance sorted out. :twisted:

Thanks for your help. :wink:
Looking for help

Re: Student Finance

Post by Looking for help »

Posey wrote: I've nagged and nagged since January - but needless to say now he's realised that he missed the official deadline, everyone is expected to pull out all the stops and drop what they are doing to get his Student Finance sorted out. :twisted:
I know what they're like :lol: . My daughter completed hers on the actual deadline, after similar nagging :shock:

What's weird though is they have to fill the forms in again for the next year - I thought it was an application for the whole course, but clearly not, so we nearly missed it for my older son who is in his first year, thinking that we didn't need to do anything :shock: And I know what you mean about the forms, last year when doing it for the first time we had to redo the application twice because we kept applying for zero - 2 letters from the Student Loan Company thanking him for his application for maintenance and tuition fee loans of £nil. We never understood what he'd done wrong on the form :shock: However despite all the nonsense he got his money in on time, thank goodness :lol:
KB

Post by KB »

There has been some discussion about he deadline for new applicants - according to the web site is has passed but apparently a friend of DC was told by someone on the helpline that it is later for new applicants (even those who aren't applying for 'means tested').

I would just get it completed today & hopefully the money will arrive in time!
Posey

Student Finance

Post by Posey »

Hi KB,
I thought I'd dreamed the later deadline of 25 May as I now can't find the piece of paper! Maybe I'm not going mad after all. Whatever the date, I will be press-ganging said DS today to get this important process completed so that we can begin to plan a budget....haha. :roll:

All A levels will be complete by end of June and DS will be a free man! I think it's really what he's been waiting for. 8)

Thanks for your reply.
Posey
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now