11 plus exam 2007

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zed_1978

11 plus exam 2007

Post by zed_1978 »

Hiya all,

I am new to this forum and i am based in Birmingham. I would like my son to take 11 plus but have not started preparation...

Can anyone give me any advice in regards to DIY tutoring for the 11 plus? I have no idea where to start? what resources to use? what topics to cover? how to encourage and motivate him? He struggles with his literacy, how can i help him improve?

Thank you

Regards
jah

Post by jah »

You don't say how old your son is. You need to check with his teacher what his literacy problems are. Get advice from his teacher.

Generally speaking, I would say turn off the TV and encourage reading. A lot that's on there isn't worth watching in any case. We do not have TV, but the children do watch DVD on our computer. They always watch with the sub-titles on, so getting reading practice even then!

Go to your local bookshop such as Waterstones, Smiths or an independent dealer; they all have materials such as workbooks for each school year and Nfer and Bond practice test papers. To boost literacy, do fun things such as crosswords and wordsearchs. Use puzzle books, anything that adds variety and fun to the proceedings.

Don't worry about test papers too much for now and concentrate on boosting literacy (if this is his weak point). This will be to his advantage now and in the future, wherever he goes to school.
zed_1978

Post by zed_1978 »

Hello all!

Jah,
My son is 10 years old. He really enjoys reading but i am not sure whether he is reading the right books, if you reccommend some that would be great. Also whats the best way to encourage him to look up new words that he is not familiar with.

Maybe i should have been abit more specific, when i ask my son to write me a story fiction or non-fiction, he really struggles to get 50-75 words. the story does not make sense and it has no structure (beginning, middle and end). How can i help him improve.

Child passed,
I am hoping to tutor my son at home (also, Newtown is quite far from us), however thanks for your advice.

Regards
zed_1978

Post by zed_1978 »

Hello all,

Can anyone out there give me aany advice to help my son (10) with 11 plus....

Thanks
Rav

11+

Post by Rav »

Hello Zed

My daughter's been going to tutors once a week for 1 year and with a few months to go been told that her maths is still very weak. We had a home tutor who is costing a fortune thinking he would be better. Basically they all seem to do the same: give sheets of questions and mark them and then go though the wrong ones. I am double minded as to whether I'm wasting money. Home tutoring is okay if you have the skills and know exactly the areas to cover. There are some good websites. They offer 3 month, 2 month etc intensive help for 11+ students.

Rav

Post by Guest »

End of Year 5 reports are a good indicator of whether the child ahs potential to do well. Scoring above the average is what I would look for, and the overall interest in reading and writting as well.

Tutoring own child

Post by Guest »

I agree with jah, speak to the teacher and get some practice papers and encourage him to read, both alone and with you. When he is reading with you, ask him questions about the plot, structure and characters to make sure he understands the story fully. In terms of looking up words he doesn't understand, make sure there is a dictionary handy in his room but also discuss the words with him - are there any other words in this word that you understand? Finally, when you're asking him to write a story or non-fiction piece, give him a focus e.g. write about a secret you had to keep, and encourage him to jot down ideas/a plan first. Children find it much easier to write stories when they are encouraged to draw on personal experience - however, they do need practice at using this technique.

Books - I went to KEFW and on the open day was given a list of recommended books to read. Nothing too hard, but focused in the area of writing that the school values. You may be able to find a list on the website.