grammar v comprehensive

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

chad

grammar v comprehensive

Post by chad »

My son passed the 11+ with average 113. Good NVR & Maths but low VR. I just put him in for the exam (no tutoring) as we are in the Windsor system. He learns better in a very structured environment. Would the pressure of grammar be to much or is it a more structured environment?
Would really like to hear any opinions as this is my eldest and I have no experience of upper schools. :roll:

Post by Guest »

Check out the dfes website and the past results for the comprehensive schools in your area and compare them to the grammar schools. If academic achievement is an important criteria to you this may help you make a decision.

There is no reason why a comprehensive school should be any less structured than a grammar schools because both systems should comply with the national curriculum and are ofsteded to ensure this.

Post by Guest »

Go for Grammar every time. Both schools may be structured but I would lay a million pounds that the children at the Grammar want to work and there will be less disruptions. The comps will be having to deal with many children who really struggle and some with SEN.

Post by Guest »

Check out all the options - children can get stressed in grammar school as there is a lot of pressure put on them so that schools maintain their league table position. What is right for one of your children, may not be right for the other. It may be better to be top of the class in a comp, than bottom of a grammar. Most comps are streamed, so your child may not be in a disruptive class anyway. I don't understand what you mean by structure - all organisations have a structure. Some comps are better organised than grammars - they have to be because they have a range of abilities. Don't forget to look out for the ubiquitous GNVQ in ICT - it is used to fiddle the league tables.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Hi Chad

I think you firstly need to ask yourself why you put your son in for the test in the first place. If it was just to see how clever he is, well he has proved hiimself. You should be proud ,he has done really well without tuotoring, he should do well in a Grammar school. Why are you even questioning it? However if you were not expecting him to pass, then ask why not, is he not at the top end of his class with regards to ability.

Sorry to preach but it seems a bit late in the day to be deciding as surely you have already put in your options?

Talk to your son too he did the test he derves a say.

M
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hello Chad,

I don't think that there is a staight answer. It depends on each individual school.

You coud you read the Ofsted reports (once more if you have already done it), check the curriculum (grammars usually offer a wider range), how well children are assessed, how well parents are informed of the children progress, how much homework they get, the way the school deal with problems (bullying, drugs etc..), what pupil and parents think of the school etc..
When I want to compare schools, I often use the Good Schools Guide website. They have links to the Ofsted reports for each school, and if you go to 'Link and resources', 'Performance tables', you get very useful comparative data.

Good luck
chad

Post by chad »

Thanks for the advice.... My son has some minor difficulties that are usually associated with the autistic spectrum...hence the 'structured environment'. From what has been said here I think I should give him the chance of a shot at grammar. Thanks again.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now