Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Flamenco

What A Stab In The Back!

Post by Flamenco »

Post deleted by Flamenco
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I do wonder if he is just goading the Tories into giving more, playing them off against eachother..... :?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Several schools of thought on this one!

Some people think it's brought the country even more instability.

Others think it's an heroic sacrifice of himself (GB's) for the good of the country.

Others still think it's Gordon's swan song and by doing this he will bring about electoral reform, thereby leaving his legacy way beyond what many of his predecessors have done.

Do we think the LidDem's will go for a labour coalition? Would they really plump for an unknown leader? Do we REALLY want Ed Balls as Prime Minister?

Will this push the LibDems and Tories to finally cement their pact?

Will they all realise there is no common ground amongst any of them and we'll end up with another election in November?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Chelmsford mum wrote:I do wonder if he is just goading the Tories into giving more, playing them off against eachother..... :?
I quite agree, i think he is playing one off against the other to serve his own ends, but then I'd guess that the others are as well.
ausvic

Post by ausvic »

Snowdrops wrote: Do we think the LidDem's will go for a labour coalition? Would they really plump for an unknown leader? Do we REALLY want Ed Balls as Prime Minister?

Will this push the LibDems and Tories to finally cement their pact?

Will they all realise there is no common ground amongst any of them and we'll end up with another election in November?
It sounds like a soap opera. I suppose they are acting like they are in one. The suspense. I just wish they would sort it out one way or another as I for one am becoming (or I should say more) disillusioned each day of the future of this country for my children
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Master yoyo hoping for an election mid October onwards as he is 18 then..
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

yoyo123 wrote:Master yoyo hoping for an election mid October onwards as he is 18 then..
Wouldn't be surprised if that were to happen, if its taking them this long to agree at the start :?
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

I'm not yet sure if it is a stab in the back from NC, though talking to tories openly but secretly to labour certainly looks dishonest, but then this is politics and politicians never change, despite all the talk of change.

Scotland has a devolved parliament, Wales too and now England is looking at two parties, Lib Dem and Labour, deciding on its future even though relatively few people in England voted for either lib dem or labour.
How is that fair?

Together labour and libdem fall short of a majority and so will have to do deals with parties they in reality will never get along with. Is that fair?
It smacks of clinging to power for power's sake and not in the interests of the country at all.

I'd have the tories run a minority govt. (and i'm speaking as one who had never before voted tory) and have another election in the autumn. A hung parliament is proving a fiasco - how is everyone so sure PR will be better? Overturning years of first past the post culture will be more problematic than most people realise. There are merits to it but it is by no means 'the best' solution. :(
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I honestly think the only ones to 'look good' in all this is the Tories.

Nick Clegg is seemingly devious, running between the two parties to see who'll offer the best deal - so desperate to be in government.

Gordon Brown - so desperate to hang on to 'power' for the labour party he's willing to sacrifice himself (for greater glory - see above thread re legacy) in order to 'force' NC's hand.

Only David Cameron has the dignity given to him by the knowledge he is in the strongest position. LibDem+Labour+ everyone else will never work - it's hard enough trying to get 2 parties to agree, let alone - how many? 8, 10?? it'll never happen! The only workable solution is Tories and LibDem, but even I wonder how long that would last.

I think perhaps a new election in the autumn is really the way to go. Even this will suit DC best, as the others have now shown their true colours - an no-one's going to vote on Ed Balls being the leader (or the Millibands either :shock: ).
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Snowdrops wrote:I honestly think the only ones to 'look good' in all this is the Tories.
Obviously I disagree... :shock: not.
When I see that George Osborne and Oliver Letwin are 2 of the 3 chief negotiators(don't mind Hague), it strikes me that Tory HQ genuinely do not understand how many of the public view them.
The reason they didn't win outright is that they haven't lost what Theresa May (A Tory M.P) called "The Nasty Party" vibe.I know people who are not sold out labour voters at all, who voted Labour because they genuinely feared the tories because of last time.
If they had any sense of why they failed , after 13 years in opposition, to get a majority, they would keep these types out of the full glare at a time like this.I am sure Oliver's mum loves him but everyone remembers him for the "I d rather beg than send my children to a comp" quote.George Osborne has had several reported errors of judgement re the excesses of his lifestyle in the press.
If I were head of Tory spin, an unlikely position for me, I would get some of the more trusted faces up there.
Re Gordon Brown, for those that genuinely believe in their politics(as you do yours) and believe a left coalition would be preferable, his resignation was noble.He is sacrificing his own position in the hope that his party's policies might stand a better chance of being implemented in a Lib/Lab coalition without him.

Personally I am not sure I would want a lib/lab coalition, as it seems to me ,whoever forms this Govt will have a short and messy term of office.To that extent I hope it's the Conservatives.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now