SATS - are your schools taking them?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ausvic

SATS - are your schools taking them?

Post by ausvic »

Just wondered if any schools of parents on this forum have boycotted the SATS. It's big news (after the election) but apart from a few they have rolled out on the news haven't heard of any in my area. After all the stress of the 11+ would have thought SATS was a walk in the park :D
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

My school in Kent are holding SATS, and optional SATS for years 3, 4, and 5.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

pheasantchick wrote:My school in Kent are holding SATS, and optional SATS for years 3, 4, and 5.
Same here but optional sats are next week.
Impossible is Nothing.
andyb

Post by andyb »

pheasantchick wrote:My school in Kent are holding SATS, and optional SATS for years 3, 4, and 5.
Same at DS's school in Bucks.
Suey12

Post by Suey12 »

My headteacher boycotted SATS :shock: This is most surprising because she is scared stiff of doing anything against the norm. She (and only one other headteacher in the whole area) decided to keep her/our school open when we had the worst snow earlier this year.

I wouldn't really mind, except that my DS' class has been working hard towards these SATS for ages, when they could have been doing fun stuff. We were only told last week that there would be no SATS at our school - imagine what they would have said if WE had boycotted the SATS ??

As for doing too many exams, my DS has been forced through loads of entrance/11+ exams so these really would have been a doddle for him.

Anyway, I'm very pleased to say that his predicted SATS results were very good, so that will give him a good start in Year 7 (unless we get our Inde, in which case I would imagine they couldn't care less anyway :D ).
Suey12

Post by Suey12 »

p.s. I should have said we are in Cheshire.
Moving on

Post by Moving on »

My DD's school are doing Year 6 SATS exams and held optional SATS for years 3, 4, and 5 two weeks ago.

Re: Year 7, I have heard that GS do their own assessements/tests to "streamline" and do not rely on SATs predictions or results.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

That is certainly the case for the GS my Midget will be going to. Within the first two week's they will be doing a Midyis test.
ausvic

Post by ausvic »

Moving on wrote: Re: Year 7, I have heard that GS do their own assessements/tests to "streamline" and do not rely on SATs predictions or results.
I think you are right. I think SATS are more about school league tables and used by non-grammars.
Suey 12 - I wouldn't really mind, except that my DS' class has been working hard towards these SATS for ages, when they could have been doing fun stuff. We were only told last week that there would be no SATS at our school - imagine what they would have said if WE had boycotted the SATS ??
I am sure your DS was quite pleased not to take the tests, I know mine would of been however so much work has been put in at school and also with masses of homework that I would have been very angry that most of our Easter holidays and weekends had been ruined by SATS homework for tests never to be done. When my older son was in year 6 doing SATS he was sick on one of the days and the school rang me and asked me to take him in just for the test - double standards :!:
andyb

Post by andyb »

Moving on wrote:Re: Year 7, I have heard that GS do their own assessements/tests to "streamline" and do not rely on SATs predictions or results.
DS's GS are quite dismissive of SATs - they say they can't be sure whether the child has been taught and understood the curriculum or whether they have just been doing practice papers for the past 6 months! There is no streaming in Y7 at all, I don't know what happens next year whether they use the results from end of year exams.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now