Violin Strings

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SSM

Violin Strings

Post by SSM »

Help!

My DS is participating in a couple of concerts for the school over the weekend and needs spare violin strings. As they are travelling to another county.

He is not doing any grades, but is probably about grade 3-4, he has a fairly decent violin, can't remember the name, but I think it is a German made one and normally costs about £400 new.

What strings should I buy, I need them for Thurs evening :twisted: Is there any websites that are good value and send next day delivery?

I have asked him to ask the music teacher tomorrow, but he is more than likely to forget.
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

My DD ruins her bow - always has many strands of hair hanging off - she says it's fine. Re strings if you contact your local music service they shoul dbe able to recommend :)
Amber

Post by Amber »

I think Dominant strings are pretty good and not too expensive - these are what DD had put on hers when one snapped.
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Agree with Amber Dominant are fine. Is it the E string by any chance? We are on our fifth violin and have had more trouble with slipping pegs than strings. Most experienced teachers with improve the problem but it is really a problem of 'cheap' instruments. Oh yep, slipping bridges are the next problem. We had one bust recently that cost a set of strings and £30 to fix! Good luck to DS.
SSM

Post by SSM »

Thanks Amber and Sassies Dad, the annoying thing is that he has never broken a string, just needs a spare set for this mini tour that he is doing.

I've looked at Dominant strings and it seems that it comes with a choice of E strings. I was trying to work out which I wanted and save my self a few squids by buying online, but I think I shall have to take a trip to the nearest music shop.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now