admission policy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

admission policy

Post by Guest »

HI

I hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

Is it true that each grammar in Slough offers places according to pass mark to 'first preference' applicants and then goes on to 'second preference' applicants, again by pass mark?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

As far as I know, yes, (except for St Bernards where the religion is more important) this is how they allocate places. Langley and Herschel are oversubscribed and may just take the top of their first preference. Slough grammar is not, and may take some second preference.

Hope this helps

Post by Guest »

thanks Catherine.... it wasn't that clear in the admission policies presented by the schools. How do you know whether they are oversubscribed or not? I can't seem to find any data at all.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Langley only takes first preferences, and their website mentions the oversubscription. Last year they took the top of the first preference down to 119 first, then then gave offers down to 115 later on.
Herschel also only takes children who have them as first preference and their ofsted report mentions that they are oversubscribed. I don't now what score is needed to get a place. I don't think that it is as high as Langley but not sure. The best is to give them a call. Each grammar school in Slough looks after their own admissions so they know what's going on.
Mel

Herscel

Post by Mel »

Hi Guest

Just thought I would let you know Julian Harris the HT at Herscel visited our school in the summer and told us parents that if our child scored 111 and put them as a prefence they would get an offer. Our Deputy Head even addressed us all and told Mr Harris that if this did not happen, then us parents should go and knock on his door! I think his comment was made as in the past it was common knowledge that unless you put Herscel as your FIRST choice you would not automatically get an offer.

I believe that Langley will only offer the highest scorers first aslong as they have have put Langley as their FIRST choice.

Mel
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hello again Guest,

I don't know what your situation is, but I just remembered something that I think is important. Someone on the forum mentioned that last year, they had in order Langley, Herschel, Slough. The child passed but the score was intially too low for Langley, didn't get a place in Herschel because they were not first preference, did not get a place in Slough because it was too far down the list. The child finally got a place in Langley. But if the score had been 111/114 he would not have got a place at all. If you are in this situation (no idea if you are or not) you can change your preference now before it is too late.
(See general topics, who got in last year)

Post by Guest »

thanks Catherine and all...... I have actually put Slough Grammar as first choice as I felt it suited my child... he passed but with 111. AS all admission policies stated that passing the 11 plus was not a guarantee of as place I was trying to find out what the chances were of my child being offered a place at Slough.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Slough grammar did mention that they take everyone including 111 scores last week during our visit.
My opinion is that you are safe.

Best wishes
Fran

Keep your nerve

Post by Fran »

>> The child passed but the score was intially too low for Langley ... did not get a place in Slough because it was too far down the list.

I understand that Slough took only about half of its intake from its first preferences last year & "filled up" with others. If you get 111 I'm sure you will get into Slough eventually!
Fran

Post by Fran »

>> I was trying to find out what the chances were of my child being offered a place at Slough

Don't worry. He'll 100% get in. I don't know of anyone who has "passed" and not got into Slough.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now