G&T register - Do I have the right to know?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

honscupboard

G&T register - Do I have the right to know?

Post by honscupboard »

Hello
I need some advice before I make acomplete fool of myself at DCs school. One of the questions on grammar school's application form is if child is on the G&T register for anything. I have never been told, although he tells me with great confidence that he is for maths. Do I have the right to know, and should that record be kept formally ie at the school office?
There is a G&T teacher, but is not keen on the boys leaving to go to GS, so have to tread carefully........
Thanks
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Just say that the GS is requesting the information for the application. I don't see how they can object under those circumstances. I would have thought that sort of information would be included in school transfer records.

Good Luck.

edit - Sorry I didn't read it properly and thought it was for DC going to school in Sept. I think I would still say it was for a school application though.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Whether you have the right to know depends on the school's policy - some do, some don't.

Imo it isn't worth the paper it's written on anyway, as it tends to be a relative measure (top 3-10% of the cohort in the school) and therefore totally meaningless when the cohort changes as it does when a child moves to another school.

Worth asking the school and telling them why you want to know, but don't fret if he isn't - it will make no difference in the long run.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

I am in complete agreement with Amber on this one. Certainly not something to fret over if you don't get the info, or your child is not on it.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I think the whole G&T thing is a nightmare. DS's primary school don't get involved in it and never have. A child in his class transferred from another school where he was on their 'register' for both Maths and English, failed the 11+ but our HT didn't support an appeal. Parents were quite rightly very upset, if their DC was considered G&T at one school but not considered worthy of appeal at another it raises the question 'what does the 'register' mean?' I would say it is used inappropriately and encourages a 'my child is super intelligent' at a far too early stage with no real basis for qualifying.

That said DS1 moved to GS a number of years ago and from their Y7 CAT's became a member of the NAGTY :oops:

I think there is a place for it, but not in Primary schools where the ability spread is far wider.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

DS's primary school don't get involved in it and never have.
Yes they do, they are required to have a list. It is up to them if they tell you about it.
DCSF guidance states that every school should keep a register of its gifted and talented pupils. Schools are also required to indicate which of their pupils are gifted and talented on a termly basis in their School Census return.
I think G&T is in its death throes!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/201 ... redirected
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

Schools were obligated to keep G&T registers and if parents ask if their child is on it I don't see how the school can deny that information - so just ask.
As for it making any difference - it depends on the school and how they deal with the 'more able'. My DD was never interested in being NAGTY member ( i think the word 'geeks' was mentioned by her a few times - sorry in advance if this offends some but it is how she perceived such groups). In the great scheme of things for most DCs it doesn't make a difference - though for DCs in disadvantaged areas/families it could make a big difference.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

the problem was that it was the top 10% of the school, so one man's G&T may be another's Ok ish..

another badly thought through 'initiative' and wasted opportunity.

I was G&T co-ordinator, , I was given the job under false pretences-didn;t even get a whiff of gin
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Giving rise to a generation of delusional parents. :lol:
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

[quote="mitasol"][quote]
Yes they do, they are required to have a list. It is up to them if they tell you about it. [quote]

well I suppose the fact none of the parents know about it is a blessing! Ludicrous to have such a list in primary school!!!!

I wouldn't be encouraged if DS was worthy of such status at 11. Some kids are quite obviously very bright, doubt you need a 'register' to confirm this.

DS1 also said NAGTY was for geeks but by being a member he has had sports coaching which he loved. Always chucked the magazine away without even looking at it! Being clever hasn't made him a geek, a smart @r5e but not a geek!