Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DarkEnergy

Grid and 3D question Practice materials

Post by DarkEnergy »

Hi everyone.

I need some help. My DD in Warwickshire will probably have two specific
types of NVR question that I cannot find anywhere. I can create them myself, but that is time consuming.

Firstly, grid questions. A grid with some squares shaded, compare to a similar grid with different shading. The question is pick the grid that corresponds to adding or subtracting the grids, what shading pattern are you left with? I presume this type of question has several variations and I would like to offer DD some practice.

Secondly, a 3D NVR. Here is a 3D shape, pick the correct shape from the list that shows it from a different perspective.

I hope someone can help with a useful website or book.
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi DarkEneergy,

I have PM'd you a link to some 3D software that has a free limited use for rotating 3D shapes.

I have seen examples of stacks of cubes and how they look from differnet angles in a vey odd NVR book that I ignored, I will go and find it.
Firstly, grid questions. A grid with some squares shaded, compare to a similar grid with different shading. The question is pick the grid that corresponds to adding or subtracting the grids, what shading pattern are you left with? I presume this type of question has several variations and I would like to offer DD some practice.
That is new to me, and probably totally ireleveant to our area but I would like to know more. :)
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

The grids question, as has been explained to me, of course I may be wrong.

Draw a grid, maybe 5 by 5 (total 25 squares). Shade in some of the squares. Produce another similar 5x5 grid and shade in a different set of squares. The question could then be, find the grid that shows the two grids added together. Variations would include subtractions etc. I have heard these questions described several times, but not actually seen one myself.

Warwickshire does Durham CEM 11 plus, so it maybe a favourite of theirs that others do not bother with. I think these types of question are pretty easy, but Durham throw so many, so quickly at you, that you run out of thinking time.
Rose petal

Post by Rose petal »

Hi there DarkEnergy,

I did find some of the 3D examples free online when preparing DD for the Warks test. I can't remember the website now I have been looking around for it but can't find it. Have to admit I know nothing about the "grids" you mention.

I'm sure there is a very helpful thread on either Warks or Birmingham with links to various tests.

Not very helpful I know, but if you google quatitative or iq tests (or similar) you may come across things that help your preparation.

How about these, I have done the first couple of the NVR and they don't seem too bad.

http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/psychotests.htm

Rose petal
Rose petal

Post by Rose petal »

The word to google is "aptitude" not "quantitative". Sorry!!
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

Cheers RP.

The grids questions have been mentioned by someone at Birmingham and I asked some year 7's at LSS and they all remembered them as well. Someone should put together a Durham CEM practice paper... maybe that goes against the idea of the tutor proof 11+?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

There is a short sample paper somewhere - have you seen it?

Don't get excited it's small, I think it was originally posted by baddad.

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corp ... +entry.pdf
http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corp ... stions.pdf
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

Cheers Mitasol

I have seen the short sample before. I am thinking of creating a full practice paper for my DD to do closer to the day. Two full 45 min tests. Although, there should be an easier way of doing it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now