HELP

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
buttercup

HELP

Post by buttercup »

I'm fairly new to all of this 11+ stuff :? my only daughter is in year five and is above average in literacy and science but just about average in maths, in all the maths tests she does at school she cmes out consistently average, however when i put test questions to her from the practice papers she tends to get the right. I really need her to get into a good school as the ones in my area leave a lot to be desired. Does anyone have any advice? is it worth going for the 11+ if she isn't a maths wiz??? Also can anyone recommend a good tutor I live in the London N19 area. Any help/advice will be greatly apppreciated. :D
chad

Post by chad »

HI Buttercup, welcome to the forum.
If you think your child would benefit from attending a grammar school then go for it.
There are differences in 11+ in different areas so firstly you would need to find out what what is covered in your area.
Maths may not be covered as a seperate area.... sometimes it is mainly Verbal & non verbal reasoning.
There are 'region specific' sections on the forum (scroll down on the forum fromt page) and any questions can then hopefully be answered by people who know the system. It would be helpful if you could name the school you are hoping for.
panichead

Post by panichead »

Hi, not up on 11+ in London as I am in Essex but I know how you feel - my daughter sat the test in Nov 0 and I was in a panic for months wondering whether she would pass. From what you say her Literacy skills are very good so she will gain good marks in this. Do you do a VR paper as this is would work in her favour too. If her maths is average then in my opinion she still stands a good change of getting through, but I'm no expert, just going on experience.

My DD is very good at maths and this brought her score up significantly - she only dropped two marks. However, English has never been her thing and although she is farily good at it, she is not naturally gifted. However, she managed to pass the English paper - an average score and coupled with the very good maths and VR score this brought her score up and she passed.

I guess what I am saying is that the you can pass the Essex 11+ without having to be exceptionally talented in all areas. Hope this helps.

Have you asked her whether she wants to take the 11+? If she is keen you have won half the battle.

You may have better luck also posting this on the section for your area.

Good luck !
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I think you need to find out which schools you want her to go to and what tests they do for 11+.

They are quite a few selective schools that dont even test maths. Just reasoning they test for so maths may not be an issue. I think maths its one subject that can be taught so if you have the stamina you may pull her up. Even if she doesnt make it for grammars it helps her to start secondary on on a good level.
Impossible is Nothing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now