My sonpassed the 11+ but the school is oversubscribed

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
colinosj

My sonpassed the 11+ but the school is oversubscribed

Post by colinosj »

We live in Wiltshire and my son passed his 11+ with suitable grades but has not got a place at Bishops Wordsworths in Salisbury as they are over subscribed, so he will have to go to the local Comprehensive. We do not fall into any of the oversubscription criteria, no sibling there, just out of catchment, not regular churchgoers, and luckily he's not in public care.
He is on the reserve list at the school but a fair way down and I wondered if anyone has any experience or advice about raising appeal in this position.
Any thoughts would be appreciated

Post by Guest »

Hi there

I am in the same position with my daughter passed tests but outside of the area and again do not meat the criteria.

I am also after any advice on appealing and the best way to do this

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It rather depends on what arguments you can muster for needing the school in question. Have a look at section C of the Q&As (follow link at top of page).

I believe Bishop Wordsworth is a VA school, and unfortunately VA schools are like foundation schools in having a below average success rate for appeals (but I don't know whether this applies to Bishop Wordsworth in particular).

Regards
Etienne