Bexley Sample Maths Paper.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dani*

Bexley Sample Maths Paper.

Post by dani* »

We had a go at the free sample maths paper on the Bexley website.

DD managed to finish this well within the time allowed and found this really easy, she made no mistakes.

However when we do other papers and things like the Tutors maths online questions she only achieves about 85%.

I have heard that the real maths paper would have a lot of tricky/wordy questions in it, but this is not reflected in their sample.

I do worry about the difference in difficulty level of all these different papers. I understand that a lot of the private schools are aiming for 90% practice papers, but considering the great variation in difficulty levels, which ones?

Think I might e-mail Bexley council about this and see what they have to say. Probably won't get anywhere with them but can give it a try.
trumpet

Post by trumpet »

Dani

I tried to speak to them about the diffuculty level of the actual tests last year and was just told that they dont test is anything which has not been taught in maths by the end of year five and that the level varies each year.

So I was none the wiser really!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Dani,

Last year most of my dd's class got 100% on that sample paper yet only a handful passed the 11+ (and most of those just scraped in).

The samples that are on the council website bare absolutely no relevance to the actual test papers.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I'd think of the papers on the Bexley Council website as 'familiarisation' papers rather than real test papers. A lot of children in Bexley will sit the tests without having done any preparation. The sample papers are, I think, intended to be used by parents and schools as a way of showing children the type of questions they will be asked to answer - particularly useful in VR. They in no way reflect the level of difficulty of the real thing.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Bexley Mum 2 wrote: A lot of children in Bexley will sit the tests without having done any preparation. .
Wow - really? i thought lots of prep went on for most of the kids either from a tutor or at home? :)
dani*

Re: Bexley Sample Maths Paper.

Post by dani* »

Not at our Primary. In my DD's class there are only 2 who have a tutor and about a handful are doing practice papers at home. A lot of the parents at our school seem to be happy with the comprehensives in the area and the rest doesn't seem to care.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Dani - same at my son's primary. I would say however, that that the vast majority of children who pass the eleven plus have been tutored by a parent or professional. But the majority of children who sit the test (ie all those in Bexley) have parents who either don't want their child to go to a grammar school (for good reasons and not so good reasons); realise their child won't pass the eleven plus so there's no point in doing any preparation; or assume the school will do whatever preparation is necessary. Unfortunately, amongst those children who receive no preparation are hundreds who are capable of passing the eleven plus (and who perhaps, for a variety of reasons, are more deserving of a grammar school place than those who have been heavily coached to pass).
dani*

Post by dani* »

In DD's class there are only a few boys. Most of the girls parents in DD's class would like their children to go to a single sex school and Beaverwood seems to be the school of choice. I'm not sure why but Townley doesn't seem to appeal to many parents in our year group. Newstead Woods is a pain to travel to from our area so I can understand that many don't even bother to consider that one. Dartford is not great travel wise and then there are the new admission criteria to consider. It seems to be a case where parents are happy with the nearest all girls comp. school and therefore don't bother with the whole 11+ saga. Wish I felt the same. Roll on October, I'm fed up and can't wait for it to be all over and done with.
bambi

Post by bambi »

Wow - really? i thought lots of prep went on for most of the kids either from a tutor or at home?
Yep - parents fall for the Bexley Council line of 'no tutoring'. End result - 'non selective'