cadbury sixth form college, Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

layla

cadbury sixth form college, Birmingham

Post by layla »

Im just wondering whether someone can shed further light on Cadburys sixth form college, if your children attend or have attended recently, or if your a student there, how do you find it.

Any info would be very much appreciated as my daughter is thinking of going there in September to study Biology, Chemistry, Maths & History ( though I prefered Solihull sixth form because its closer to home as we live in yardley and getting to Cadbury would be a trek for her.

Thanks in advance
um

Post by um »

Unfortunately I don't know anything about Dame Elizabeth Cadbury, but I have heard only good things about Solihull 6th form from people who've been there.
It is also in a 'better' area - I often see Solihull 6th formers relaxing and having lunch in Malvern Park when I'm out with my little ones, and it is served by children from 'better' secondary schools than Dame EC is.
fm

Post by fm »

Cadbury College and Dame Elizabeth Cadbury are separate entities.

I know several children who have been to Cadbury College and how well they have done has been entirely dependent on how hard working they are and how much they can ignore influences around them. I think you have to be quite self-motivated to do well at any sixth form college because you are give more independence and chased less.

It really is a case of what is right for one individual may be wrong for another. While I was impressed with Solihull College, I know some ex-grammar school children who have done very badly there. I also know of someone who transferred from Solihull to Cadbury for A2 and was much happier.

In the west of the city, people would rate King Edward Stourbridge above Halesowen College but again I know children who started at the former, did a disastrous year, then moved to Halesowen and were much happier and more successful.

In retrospect I would always look in more detail as to how children do in the individual subjects your child wishes to take. My son chose a sixth form which generally had good results and only later did I discover it was exceptionally weak in 2 of the A levels he chose due to specific teaching staff. I am not a great fan on judging schools by league tables but, if I had been more vigilant and done this, I might have noticed that no one in the history of the school had scored higher than a C at music.

My advice would be to do your homework because your child probably won't.
solimum

Post by solimum »

fm wrote: Cadbury College and Dame Elizabeth Cadbury are separate entities.
So are Solihull College and Solihull 6th form College, just to add to the confusion!
fm

Post by fm »

Sorry. I meant Solihull Sixth Form College.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ah yes - solihull college used to be the tech, then the college of technology, then the college
layla

Re: cadbury sixth form college, Birmingham

Post by layla »

Thank you
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now