unsuccessful first appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
medwaymum

unsuccessful first appeal

Post by medwaymum »

My son sat his Medway 11 + and was just below the pass mark, getting 516, we appealed with the support of the headmistress, but have heard today that was also unsuccessful.

Any advice, tips on where to go next? Do not want to go through the stress of another appeal if chance is nil!

Any input welcome
chad

Post by chad »

I am not sure of the system in Medway...... the Lea should be able to answer your questions on 'what happens next'.... once you know the procedure there is some good advise in the APPEALS section. You could also post any specific question in that section and I am sure one of the many 'gurus' will be able to help.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Its worth an appeal with a score of 516.

the Math is oversubscribed, but not by many, so it may be possible to win an appeal.

Rainham Mark selects on scores, but last year dipped its expectations.

Chatham Grammar is undersubscribed and an appeal panel may be sympathetic.
Guest222

Post by Guest222 »

Does anybody know if either Rochester Girls, Fort Pitt and Chatham Girls Grammar were overscribed.

Post by Guest »

Peter wrote:Its worth an appeal with a score of 516.

the Math is oversubscribed, but not by many, so it may be possible to win an appeal.

Rainham Mark selects on scores, but last year dipped its expectations.

Chatham Grammar is undersubscribed and an appeal panel may be sympathetic.
The Maths was oversubscribed, and possibly as you have said Peter not by much, but some children even with a low pass mark did not manage an offer today, unfortunately.

Medwaymum, keep trying. I know a girl who had the exact same score and has managed to see her way through...

Fingers crossed...
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Many thanks for replies, it was Chatham Grammer School for boys that we had applied for had he been successful so that is encouraging that it is under subscribed.

Will meet with his teacher next week to get some input there too.

Difficult decision as he was so disappointed not to be successful first in the 11+ and now in the appeal that i dont know that we can cope with more stress!
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Met with my sons teacher today, and she is encouraging an appeal and was very supportive. Meeting the headmistress later in the week.

Have been given advice to get in touch with the headmaster of Chatham Grammar School for boys and putting a case to him, but whom ever i spoke to at the school said that headmasters had no influence over appeal cases. Can anyone clarify this?

Thanks in advance
Peter

Post by Peter »

There is no point in contacting the headteacher of Chatham Grammar School.
Because this is a Community School (run by Medway Council), he has no influence on the appeal,does not appear and will not even know who is appealing.

This also applies to Fort Pitt and the Maths School.

Post by Guest »

Peter, what about RGS? Would that be the same for them?

Also do you know if the Rochester Grammar School was oversubscribed this year and what their cut off point was?

Thank you.
Peter

Post by Peter »

No, this is a different situation, as the Headteacher's representative makes case for school.

However, I advise you to proceed with caution if you go down that route!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now