Book Club: To kill a mocking bird.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bromley mum

Book Club: To kill a mocking bird.

Post by bromley mum »

Its June when we will start discussing our chosen books. To start everyone off let me ask you do you think that this book although it broke various barriers still portrayed the black population in a stereotypical way? Second question: The book deals with some very dark issues but is written in a very warm and humorous style. Do you think this adds or detracts from the main issues the book is trying to address?
MittenKitty

Re: Book Club: To kill a mocking bird.

Post by MittenKitty »

excellent questions from what I remember of the book when I read it at school - however I've entirely messed up the schedule. When this was set up I remember thinking it was ages away and that I didnt need to do anything - so I haven't

Now need to get hold of the book and read it pretty quick so I can join in. Have just started Sarah Waters but she'll have to wait - not loving it as much as I expected to anyway. Be back in a few days I hope!
mumto2

Post by mumto2 »

Have just done this in our own book club and we all loved it.
No, i don't think it deals in stereotypes. It has to be read in the context of when it was written - 50 years ago - and the fact that the events are seen through the eyes of a child. Similarly, although the subject matter is very dark the fact that Scout is a child does add homour; indeed sometimes it is her very humour that diffuses difficult situations in the book; through her humour we also see how laughable some of the views expressed in the book are. The humour alleviates to some extent the very grim central theme but certainly never detracts from it. I would recommend it to anyone from Year 7 upwards!
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Just pushing it up to the top.
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

Just back from France where this was my holiday book 8)

I cant believe that I read this when I was about 13 & that I could have understood some of the subtleties - sure that I got the main messages though. So in that case I think it is one of those books that you need to read as both a teenager & as a wise old adult ( I only read Winnie the pooh as an adult & I swear that it was not written for children with its many philosophical wisdoms)
Not sure what I should write, having never belonged to a book club before :?: Well I think it was beautifully written & very unusual in that it was written from a childs point of view, albeit a very mature/wise child or was it Scout as an adult/teenager looking back at that time in her life & so giving herself more credit for insights with hindsight?

Off to read Woman in White now
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I agree with Rosared, having read as a child and re-read as an adult, one of the best books I have read. Loved it both times, and now thinking of reading again. I think the humour comes from the child's perspective, but this only serves to heighten the tension/horror of the situation. Wonderful story, beautifully written. :D
rachag

Post by rachag »

Never done a book club..
Must say, I am surprised at the relatively sparse replies considering amount of interest....perhaps half term and exams :?:
Loved the book.
The stance of a child does make difficult topics easier to deal with in many ways as prejudiced views can simply be reported and events become matter-of-fact rather than filtered through the adult psyche. Most notably recently perhaps in The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. The just take it for as it is view point adds to the power in many ways to us grown ups and strips it in an alarming way.
Wouldn't I (we?) just have loved to have a father like Atticus?
Loved the ham part - I knew I was coming to the end but did not expect finale to be grappling with a chicken wire ham!
Set in Alabama - seem to have read a great deal recently touching on abolitionists round there recently. It was her home town and her father was a lawyer...wonder whether a real event occured? Will have to look it up.
Never realized that H Lee was a woman before getting the book :oops:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Hands up, I have to admit that I didn't read it :oops: , I started it but just couldn't 'get on with it', there was something about the style of writing which I found to be intensely annoying. I think perhaps it was reminding me of the last book I read (especially the first few pages) which was Catcher in the Rye, and I just (literally) couldn't read it.

So, my apologies and I will try harder with the next one.

I have to admit to being a bit confused over what's happening (timewise) with the reading schedule. Can you just confirm when we start to read and when we then review?
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Oh dear, I think we're about to get a long list of confessions here.
I haven't read it because I didn't enjoy it the first time round (at school) and because I've started the Millennium trilogy. :oops:
Milla

Post by Milla »

will be interested to hear what you think about them, KS; won't say a word til then.
And, sorry, not going to re-read TKAMB, much as I enjoyed it way back when (and the film) but just too many books out there to do re-reads. Sorry! :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now