appearing for test without puttting down schl in the CAF

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
muvvalac

appearing for test without puttting down schl in the CAF

Post by muvvalac »

I have got a silly question.

If a child registers for example to Reading boys grammar school and writes the 11+ exam, but if the school is not put down as one of the 6 preferences in CAF then what will happen ?

Let us assume child is qualified in the exam with good marks and there are places left with school. Then would school send offer letter to child though child's CAF does not have that school listed

I know it is wierd situation

But I am asking this question becaz there are scenarios where a child is given admission into higest preference school by council but then child is sent offer letter individually by school which is in the 6th preference in CAF. This could have happened becaz there are seats remaining the school which is put as 6th choice

reply appreciated
mitasol

Re: appearing for test without puttting down schl in the CAF

Post by mitasol »

I'm not from your area so you should check with the school but usually the school would need to be listed on your C.A.F in order to be eligible to take the test.

So not including it on the CAF would be a different scenario to placing it in 6th or last place.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

We know that if the child sits the exam in Slough and Bucks grammars but does not place the school on the CAF, the child will not be sent the results of the test. Therefore will not qualify for a place even if they did pass the exam.

If you read the entry requirements for 11+ in both these boroughs it clearly states that you will not be sent the result unless you place the school on the CAF.

LA and Schools are in close contact with detailed communications over who has applied on CAF for a place and who has actually sat the test.

HTH

BW
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

Bewildered wrote:We know that if the child sits the exam in Slough and Bucks grammars but does not place the school on the CAF, the child will not be sent the results of the test. Therefore will not qualify for a place even if they did pass the exam.

If you read the entry requirements for 11+ in both these boroughs it clearly states that you will not be sent the result unless you place the school on the CAF.

LA and Schools are in close contact with detailed communications over who has applied on CAF for a place and who has actually sat the test.

HTH

BW
hmm, thanks for ur reply. are you able to copy/paste entry requirements information where it states in both boroughs. as far as i know slough/reading/bucks's secondary school admission requirements are not yet published this year. you may be quoting from last year but please send me those details if you can

after i decide my 6 choices carefully, then i might get my child to sit for other schools as well though after studying requirements criteria etc
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

I find this

The registration form is not an application to the
school. The grammar school must be named on your
CAF in preference ranking order, otherwise your
child will not be considered for a place even if they
reach the qualifying mark

from slough 2009 secondary school adminssion information booklet

but this does not say that result will not be sent if the school is not listed in CAF

my argument is if child achieves good marks then though the school is not listed in CAF and provided there are seats remaining in that school. then the school may send offer letter to child, i know it is looking unlikely and strange

but opinions plz
chicko-mum

Post by chicko-mum »

I'm not in the Slough area, so don't know your schools. Have you looked at the entry history for these schools - have they had 'spare places' in the past? Given GS tend to be over subscribed what are the chances of them having spare places. I would imagine that in the case of spare places resulting because not enough children, who had the school on the CAF, reached the passmark, then these places would be allocated on appeal first. Can I ask why you would not put the grammar school as one of your 6 choices on the CAF? 6 schools would give you a good range of options. Personally I would not attempt sitting the exam without the school being one of my choices, it's too big a risk to take and would not be fair to DC to put them through more uncertainty than is necessary. The whole process is stressful enough for DCs without unnecessary complications, imho, but each to their own.
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

chicko-mum wrote:I'm not in the Slough area, so don't know your schools. Have you looked at the entry history for these schools - have they had 'spare places' in the past? Given GS tend to be over subscribed what are the chances of them having spare places. I would imagine that in the case of spare places resulting because not enough children, who had the school on the CAF, reached the passmark, then these places would be allocated on appeal first. Can I ask why you would not put the grammar school as one of your 6 choices on the CAF? 6 schools would give you a good range of options. Personally I would not attempt sitting the exam without the school being one of my choices, it's too big a risk to take and would not be fair to DC to put them through more uncertainty than is necessary. The whole process is stressful enough for DCs without unnecessary complications, imho, but each to their own.
yes, there is a slight possibility of spare places in reading/bucks/tiffin

as i know some cases where a child is offered seat by highest ranking school then another school which is in lower ranking also offered place to child. it indicates that there are spare places, this happened with reading boys and with tiffin boys. also i spoke to bucks admissions yesterday and they said last year bucks schools offered seat to every child who is qualified , it indicates that there qualified children or less than or equal to number of places. if it is the case where number of qualified children are less than seats then spare seats may be offered to children who appeared to test though not listed in CAF. all UNLIKLEY

also historically around 9-14 children applied for 1 seat in any grammar school. out of this i would think only 40% of the children are probably well prepared/motivated. so it leaves 4 children for 1 place which may not very high competition so there could be a possibility for spare places

don't take me wrong , i am new to 11+ process in this country

i have more than 6 grammar schools to put hence this debate
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Spare places if they become available are given to children who are put on the waiting list in order of score achieved.
These children have put the school down on the CAF, and they are advised what position they are in, on the waiting list if they did not gain entry to their first choice grammar.

Slough has a specified pass score i.e 111+; Bucks 121+. In Slough even children achieving this score in the past have not been allocated places, as other children have achieved a higher score. Also they have significantly tightened up the offer for places. These are now sent out by the LA, thus avoiding double offers.
If you look through the threads in previous years, people are offered a place in a first round of offers, after these have been accepted/rejected, then a second round of offers is made to candidates on the waiting list, and possibly a third round also.But only to those on the waiting list.

You are indeed lucky that you have 6 choices to use. In a lot of areas you are only given three.
if it is the case where number of qualified children are less than seats then spare seats may be offered to children who appeared to test though not listed in CAF. all UNLIKLEY
I agree you're hypothesis seems highly unlikely.
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

Bewildered wrote:Spare places if they become available are given to children who are put on the waiting list in order of score achieved.
These children have put the school down on the CAF, and they are advised what position they are in, on the waiting list if they did not gain entry to their first choice grammar.

Slough has a specified pass score i.e 111+; Bucks 121+. In Slough even children achieving this score in the past have not been allocated places, as other children have achieved a higher score. Also they have significantly tightened up the offer for places. These are now sent out by the LA, thus avoiding double offers.
If you look through the threads in previous years, people are offered a place in a first round of offers, after these have been accepted/rejected, then a second round of offers is made to candidates on the waiting list, and possibly a third round also.But only to those on the waiting list.

You are indeed lucky that you have 6 choices to use. In a lot of areas you are only given three.
if it is the case where number of qualified children are less than seats then spare seats may be offered to children who appeared to test though not listed in CAF. all UNLIKLEY
I agree you're hypothesis seems highly unlikely.
I too agree that my theory is very unlikely but I am going to try that and let us see what happens. I dont loose anything.it is just that my son will be appearing for one more exam.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I suspect your child may be very upset indeed with his parent when having spent time doing the test, and hopefully passing, then discovers that as his parent did not read the info sent or listen to the advice given, he will not be able to go to the school.

Please listen to what is said - we do not want to be dealing with the

"help my DS passed and I didn;t realise I had to put the school on the list, and I thought they would make an exception for me"

type message next march.