Scrapped by the Coalition...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Marylou

Scrapped by the Coalition...

Post by Marylou »

I thought it would be an interesting exercise to list all the various initiatives of the previous government that have been scrapped by the new one. It seems that every week, something else that "seemed like a good idea at the time" has gone to the wall. It's inevitable, of course, that a new broom will make changes - but they really are coming thick and fast.

So far, we've had

Home Information Packs
Compulsory Identity Cards
Child Trust Fund (though, to be honest, one of ours did benefit from this :oops: )
Plan to make local authorities charge for waste removal by weight
and today
Academic Diplomas AND the overhaul of the primary curriculum.

I'm sure there have been (and will be) others... suggestions, anyone?
Marylou
hermanmunster

Re: Scrapped by the Coalition...

Post by hermanmunster »

interesting list - glad to see HIPS and ID cards go ... didn't realised that academic diplomas were too!

Child trust funds probably cost huge amount to administer, like child benefit - only in the case of child benefit it is useful to have a database of who all the children are, where they are and who is supposed to be looking after them.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Not sorry the first two have gone.

I`d like to see them abolish the impending 3 hour wait in A&E...cos then patients will get the treatment they need before being bounced....
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

is that changing ??? the limit is 4 hrs now just before which all sort of strange behaviour occurs (in the managers that is.....)
Amber

Post by Amber »

The General Teaching Council (GTC) has gone, so all those of you who wanted to, in one easy click, 'express concern about a teacher' have missed your chance. And I will be 60 quid a year richer - pity I had only just paid the fees.

The Regional Spatial Strategies (RSS) which would have put 5000 homes on a couple of fields near me (Gloucestershire) because someone in Cornwall (where the South West RSS was put together) decided it was better to have them here than near them, have also gone.

Weep into your beer everyone, for what we have lost.
(this will now say that I edited it twice; but the second time was to remove what I put the first time and put it in another post!)
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Amber wrote:
Weep into your beer everyone, for what we have lost.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :wink:
Marylou
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

golly lucky you getting rid of the GTC .. wish we could do the same for the GMC... used to be about £50 until the government started making it work for them and not us and now it is over £400.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Yes, OH is a dentist, and the similarly useful GDC costs the same.

Suggestions: well, I have 7 CRB checks. Because I do supply, and some voluntary work, I have one for each 'setting'. When the ISAs come in, I will have one of those too. Your children are safe with me, that's for sure. But perhaps I could be spared just one or 2 of them?
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

We are finding it very difficult to keep up with all these occasions which require celebrating with a nice bottle of something fizzy! Might have to go onto one of T**co's 3 for £10 offers soon.
We are really hoping that CPD for teachers will go next. DH spent yesterday being brainwashed about "Diversity Awareness" despite having wanted to provide some last minute help for some of his weakest students before their exams. The same college which has leaking roofs paid this muppet some £800 to come and pester the staff when they could have been doing something useful.
During on eof my phone calls to try and eradicate this C**p being imposed upon DH I did come across one wonderful member of staff at the (happily) renamed Dept for Education who said that she thought the TDA was next for the chop! Better get off to T**co!!!
Amber

Post by Amber »

only in the case of child benefit it is useful to have a database of who all the children are

As long as said database does not get 'lost in the post' or accidentally delivered into the hands of a national newspaper. Sorry, of course nothing like that could ever happen.
During on eof my phone calls to try and eradicate this C**p being imposed upon DH I did come across one wonderful member of staff at the (happily) renamed Dept for Education who said that she thought the TDA was next for the chop!
No! Tell me it isn't true, please! We will be rudderless, our development forever stunted, our awareness of diversity and inclusivity and all those other lovely abstract concepts forever condemned to the dark wastelands. Whatever will teachers do? Surely not...get on with teaching? :shock: