failed by one point.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cindy

failed by one point.

Post by cindy »

please could you help my son
Christopher has allways acheived a B grade in past years for effort, this is for 'consistently good presentation. all work completed on time. Also he
has all 2's for attainment, which equals working 'at above the national curriculum expectations'. Last year he acheived 7x5C marks and 8X4A's in his SATs Results. Some of his teachers comments are, he is a mature, intelligent class member, who sets a superb example' another teacher said ' He is respected by peers and adults alike'. In fact my son was appointed Head Boy last year. Apparentely prior to the parents getting the restults, a stand in Headteacher appealed on his behalf, but it was not accepted.
My difficulty is, unfortunately, I feel I am not capable
of producing a good appeal paper that represents him well enough. Christopher had no coaching on exam taking, naturally I feel I have let him down. All the other children on this 11+ and historically have had extra tuition. Christopher want to go to grammer school and his ambition
is to become a Scientist/inventor.

Please could you advise me.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear cindy

First of all read the appeal Q&As (follow link at top of page).

Secondly, go and see the current headteacher to ask if he/she will support an appeal.

Then come back to us with any specific questions.

It's not clear what area you are from, but if your son missed by only one mark it's well worth trying an appeal.

Don't worry. It all seems very bewildering at first, but we will help you.
Etienne
Cindy

thank you

Post by Cindy »

Thank you ver much for your reply

The headteacher said she will support Christoper, showing his next predicted scores, also his teacher will do a letter of support.

The school thought Christopher would sail through his 11+, but also feel an appeal would be sucessful too..

His scores were 124 ,128 and 114 in Maths.

thank you again
cindy

Post by cindy »

oh, and we are in kent
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Cindy

By coincidence I was reading an article on school appeals in today's Daily Telegraph. If you really don't feel able to put together an appeal yourself there are a number of companies that exist to do it for you - at a price.

I have no idea how successful or effective they really are - needless to say they all claim fantastic success rates. I would prefer not to post their names here, as I have no way of knowing if they are reputable, but if you Google "School Place Appeal" then some of them appear. You can also read the article at the following link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... ool503.xml

However, do read all the advice on the forum first, because it is entirely possible to undertake the process yourself very effectively. There are many people on this forum who are living proof of that. Best of all, the expertise on this forum is completely free.

Good luck
Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Even if you don't feel confident, I agree with Sally-Anne that it's entirely possible to undertake the process yourself.

Remember, the panel will not be judging you, or how well you have put together your appeal. They will be judging the evidence - and it sounds as if the school will put forward some strong evidence on your behalf.

Moreover, panels tend to be very considerate, especially if an appellant is finding the process difficult. Have a look at section E9 in the Q&As where a parent describes the experience of a Kent appeal.
Etienne
cindy

Post by cindy »

thank you both so much for your help,

I shall use your advice
cindy

Post by cindy »

please, do you know if I apply for a copy of Chritophers paper?

Also, I cant seem to find out if I could see the "stand in" head teacher appeal, that was turned down..

thank you
lesley

Post by lesley »

Hi Cindy

im in kent too.. and did an appeal last year for my daughter.. yes scary more because of the unknown.. but was successful and she is now at Maidstone girls grammar and blow me this year will do the same for my other daughter...

so go for it... they really were very friendly ( appeal panel) and make you feel as comfortable as possible.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Cindy

I don't know about Kent, but I suspect they would resist letting you have the original papers.

I suggest you ask the current head about the headteacher's appeal. In my area, when there used to be a similar system, the previous headteacher's report was always made available to parents at the time of the parental appeal.

Regards
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now