Transport from Wickford to KEGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Eve16

Transport from Wickford to KEGS

Post by Eve16 »

Hi everybody, my DS will be taking the 11-plus this year, I've been looking at transport from Wickford to the Grammar schools. I've looked at the CSSE website and see there are buses to WHSB and SHSB, but I can't find any that travel to KEGS. Does anybody know of any alternatives? Thanks!
moved

Re: Transport from Wickford to KEGS

Post by moved »

The train is very straight forward. Change at Shenfield. Lots of KEGS boys and CCHS girls from Rayleigh onwards. Mine used to do it from Southend. The advantage of the train is that they can attend before and after school activities and have no problem getting home.
Eve16

Post by Eve16 »

Thanks for the reply moved, will certainly look into it !
Tea Lover

Post by Tea Lover »

There is also a number 15 bus (Regal Busways) that leaves Wickford train station at 7.40 am and stops outside CCHS (just opposite KEGS) about 8.30am. It picks up again outside CCHS at 3.50pm (it may also stop outside KEGS but I'm not sure - I can check if you like) and returns to Wickford about 4.37pm. It also picks up/drops off at the Swan pub at the end of Swan Lane in Wickford. Several girls catch it to go to CCHS and at least a couple of KEGS boys catch it.

If your son has a club after school, he can walk down to the bus station and catch the number 15 or 14 there to Wickford. The bus runs every hour, but only stops ouside the schools at the times I've mentioned. At other times, it stops at the bus station.

The bus has the advantage that it is about half the price of the train (if I remember correctly) and he won't have to walk up from the station. If he does take the train, it's only a ten minute walk to/from the station.

Hope this helps.
dandy

Post by dandy »

moved wrote:The train is very straight forward. Change at Shenfield. Lots of KEGS boys and CCHS girls from Rayleigh onwards. Mine used to do it from Southend. The advantage of the train is that they can attend before and after school activities and have no problem getting home.
Can you take the train from Chelmsford to Southend Girls School? How long will it take? Would it be better/quicker to catch a coach?
Eve16

Post by Eve16 »

Tea Lover wrote:There is also a number 15 bus (Regal Busways) that leaves Wickford train station at 7.40 am and stops outside CCHS (just opposite KEGS) about 8.30am. It picks up again outside CCHS at 3.50pm (it may also stop outside KEGS but I'm not sure - I can check if you like) and returns to Wickford about 4.37pm. It also picks up/drops off at the Swan pub at the end of Swan Lane in Wickford. Several girls catch it to go to CCHS and at least a couple of KEGS boys catch it.

If your son has a club after school, he can walk down to the bus station and catch the number 15 or 14 there to Wickford. The bus runs every hour, but only stops ouside the schools at the times I've mentioned. At other times, it stops at the bus station.

The bus has the advantage that it is about half the price of the train (if I remember correctly) and he won't have to walk up from the station. If he does take the train, it's only a ten minute walk to/from the station.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much, this is really helpful. I must admit I do prefer the idea of him getting the bus while he's still 'little' :D the train would be a great option as he gets older.
moved

Post by moved »

dandy wrote:Can you take the train from Chelmsford to Southend Girls School? How long will it take? Would it be better/quicker to catch a coach?
Not easily. SHSG is nowhere near Southend Victoria station and would involve another bus journey. I would recommend the bus with the train to be used in emergencies.

We used to live reasonably near to SHSG and I used to drive DC to and from the station.
dandy

Post by dandy »

moved wrote:
dandy wrote:Can you take the train from Chelmsford to Southend Girls School? How long will it take? Would it be better/quicker to catch a coach?
Not easily. SHSG is nowhere near Southend Victoria station and would involve another bus journey. I would recommend the bus with the train to be used in emergencies.

We used to live reasonably near to SHSG and I used to drive DC to and from the station.
Hi Moved thanks for getting back to me - are the bus/coaches usually on time and how long will it take to travel from Chelmsford to SHSG?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now