Year 5 Nfer results_Help!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tigger2

Year 5 Nfer results_Help!

Post by tigger2 »

Hi all !

Your help and advice would be much appreciated please. My ds came home with his nfer results yesterday and they should a disastrous drop in all areas. Throughout his primary school life he has always had excellent results /reports etc ,always making excellent progress and his teacher in year 4 said that he could have taken the 11plus last year and would pass. We have had huge misgivings regarding his current teachers approach and have politely said just that at intervals. I have been alarmed that the school residential trip and dancing competition seems to have completely taken over the curriculum this year and for example only 3 pieces of maths homework have been sent home . My ds has said in the past that maths has not been explained well and 45 minutes before assessments in October he completely threw the children by giving them 4 different strategies to 'help them'.We have addressed all these issues as they cropped up and expressed our concern .We were told that maths would be sent home but it has never materialised despite reminders.We have to wait for recent sats results until the end of the month but we are very alarmed by what is over a 15point drop on nfer scores in maths,vr and nvr bringing him below the threshold of 117. Clearly we have to see his teacher and head. I have asked for his nfer test papers and an appointment for next week but I would appreciate advice as to action I should /can take. I feel that my dc has been well and truly failed this year and I think,judging by a couple of conversations with other mums last night, that he is not the only one. Any advice very much welcomed!
pheasantchick

Re: Year 5 Nfer results_Help!

Post by pheasantchick »

Not sure if this thread will help you.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=5134

I guess as there is no tutoring (home or paid) going on you don't have an alternative view of your child's abilities, since year 4.

Why don't you do some 11+ papers and see how he does. He he doesn't do well, then try and coach him yourself/get a tutor. If there are a few worreid parents, p'haps work together in small groups. Different parents may be able to help in different areas - maths, vr etc.
sherry_d

Re: Year 5 Nfer results_Help!

Post by sherry_d »

I went through exactly what you are going through and posted here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 38&t=13494

You can talk to the teacher about your concerns but in my case if I am honest they did nothing apart from moving her desks. I dont expect anything more but I am self educating my daughter, she goes to school and when she comes home we do work most days as I have lost faith in this school. Most here have been horrified but I say each to their own as I cant simply sit and watch her go down the drain in her current failing school.

Its hard to explain this to those fortunate enough to be in oustanding and good primary schools where their kids are getting first class education already and can do the bare minimum for 11+. She has gone heaps and bounds and the school is taking all the credit now. She has improved and is now on the gifted for maths. The teacher was beaming the other day saying how well she is doing. My opinion is talk to the teacher but at the end of the day she is your child and ONLY you have a genuine interest in her. If you can help her practice at home or improve the areas you feel she is suffering then worth a go. Mine didnt even like reading and now she is crazy about Michael Murpego. This was a girl who hated reading a few months ago so it can be done with a few tears and screaming along the way.
Impossible is Nothing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now