Members of the appeal panel

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

panicattack!

Members of the appeal panel

Post by panicattack! »

Does anyone know how I would find out information (ie background) on appeal panel members? I have been sent their names and it just tells me wether they are independent or lay members but not 100% sure what the difference is?
U400JB9

Re: Members of the appeal panel

Post by U400JB9 »

I have a feeling the independent is something to do with education, but independent from the school, and the others are what it says on the tin "Lay persons"

I may be wrong though
panicattack!

Post by panicattack! »

As in having any other background ie not educational? eg GP, JP etc
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Yes I believe so....I think we had a retired GP....he was very nice.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

The panel at our appeal chose not to divulge their 'proffessions'........
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

1.4 Admission authorities must ensure that every appeal hearing consists of:
a) at least one lay member. Lay members are people without personal experience in the management or provision of education in any school (though it is permissible to use people who have experience as governors of other schools, or who have been involved in education in any other voluntary capacity); and
b) at least one person with experience in education, who is acquainted with educational conditions in the area, or who is the parent of a registered pupil at a school.
1.5 The following people are disqualified from membership of an appeal panel and admission authorities therefore must not allow them to sit on panels:
a) any member of the local authority which is making the arrangements or which maintains the school in question;
b) any member or former member of the governing body of the school in question;
c) any person employed by the local authority in a capacity connected with education, or the governing body of the school in question, other than a person employed as a teacher or as a teaching assistant;
d) any person who has, or at any time has had, any connection with the authority or the school, or with any person within sub-paragraph c), of a kind which might reasonably be taken to raise doubts about his ability to act impartially in relation to the authority or the school;
e) any person who does not satisfy the training requirements as set out in the Appeals Regulations.

Admission authorities must not allow a teacher or teaching assistant to sit on appeal panels considering appeals against decisions about admissions to their school. Admission authorities must not allow a person to sit on an appeal panel considering an appeal against a decision if they were among those who made the decision, or provided information which contributed to the decision.

1.6 While it is the responsibility of individual panel members to disclose whether any of the circumstances described in paragraph 1.5 apply to them, and whether there may be any potential for their independence and objectivity to be challenged in relation to a particular school or family, the body appointing panel members should also think about this. For example, Admission Forum members representing a particular school or interest group connected to the local authority or school involved in the appeal, diocesan representatives who may have contact with the school etc. would not be perceived to be impartial.
Employment by a local authority or other body in a capacity unconnected toeducation or to the school itself, or as a teacher or teaching assistant at another school, are not in themselves reasons for disqualifying someone from membership, unless there is another reason why their ability to act impartially might be doubted.
2.12 ..... the admission authority must also provide appellants with the following information at least three working days before the
hearing:
a) names of the panel members and clerk, with the caveat that these may be subject to change due to unavoidable circumstances, and in what capacity they are serving (see paragraph 1.4). This is to give appellants (and other parties) the opportunity to raise any doubts as to the impartiality of particular panel members before the appeal hearing;
Etienne
panicattack!

Post by panicattack! »

thanks everyone. So an independent member is probably in education and the lay members are as referred to by everyone. Thanks.
panicattack!

Post by panicattack! »

Etienne, Sally-Anne, Hermanmunster, any other mods
In your view how likely is it that the appeal panel may know anything about future developments at the school.... I am presuming highly unlikely and that it probably isn't legal as they wouldn't be totally independent, but just thought I would ask.

Do they get exactly the same pack as I do from the school? Or are they given any extra paperwork from the school pertant to them but not necessarily to me.... (can't think want but just got a paranoia hat on at this moment in time :roll: )
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

In your view how likely is it that the appeal panel may know anything about future developments at the school.... I am presuming highly unlikely and that it probably isn't legal as they wouldn't be totally independent, but just thought I would ask.
Well, it's possible, because they might have done previous appeals for the same school and picked up information. However, they should only be taking into account points raised at your hearing.
Do they get exactly the same pack as I do from the school?
Yes. Everyone must have the same paperwork.
Etienne
panicattack!

Post by panicattack! »

ok thanks Etienne. I don't want to go down one particular route and find that the panel make a point of saying that I had wrong information. Any information they have on the school they will have gleaned from the appeals as opposed to having been given any future plans for the school etc. (told you I am getting paranoid!)