Are these topics included in 11+ maths exams?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
herty

Are these topics included in 11+ maths exams?

Post by herty »

Does anyone know if children are expected to know either long division or the nth term at 11+ level?
yoyo123

Re: Are these topics included in 11+ maths exams?

Post by yoyo123 »

whereabouts are you? The 11+ is not standard across the country.

It will depend on who sets the papers for your area.
herty

Post by herty »

Hertfordshire. But I thought the maths topics were fairly standard - I thought it was the VR that varied so much?

If it helps, according to this forum, the maths paper is by GL Assessment (formerly known as NFER Nelson).
WP

Post by WP »

The SW Herts Maths test doesn't go beyond KS2, so it wouldn't include those topics. Some entry tests for independent schools do, though.
herty

Post by herty »

Thanks - I couldn't see them on the practice papers I had, but didn't want to get caught out...

Bit less for us to cover then!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Hello Herty, I think you will be surprised when you receive the sample questions in the post nearer the time. They will look easy compared to some of the papers you have been preparing with. My dd sat nine maths exams and felt the consortium maths was by far the easiest she did. Not all found it so though. We sat at Clement Danes and there were crying children refusing to go in outside and crying children who came out early. But as in the Watford area you pretty much have to sit to get one of the good school s so I think some do very little preparation and get caught by it. I am sure your dd will be very well equiped for the test. I would recommend you put her in for the music test which is multiple choice and is a few weeks before the academic. It will give her a great dry run for the academic. We had music on 10th Nov and then academic on the 25th November.
herty

Post by herty »

Thanks very much for the info. I thought the maths didn't look too bad, partly because there is lots of time to do it. The only way it is 'hard' is that at most state schools, kids won't have covered all the Year 6 curriculum yet.

My DD will have a go at the music exam - didn't know it was multiple choice - as it seems worh having a go.
busybeenfun

Post by busybeenfun »

Re: Music test

It is definitely worth trying the music test if they have a natural ability even if they do not play an instrument such as piano/violin etc. to grade level. There are several children in my DD's year who only play the recorder (through lessons at their state school) and received music places at Parmiters and SCD on allocation day.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Wow, busybeenfun, I am astonished! You know recorder players who got music places at Parimeters and Clement Danes? My dd is Grade Two Distinction at Recorder but it would never have occured to us to play the Recorder at the Music Audition. Had these candidates taken any grades? When we went to Clement Danes Open evening we especially asked for a tour guide who knew about music and we did actually get a girl who got in on flute self taught at home. But I had assumed that she had reached a very high level. When we took the music audition there was a boy in the next room playing a Grade Eight piano piece! When I chatted to his parents they told me that he was applying for Watford Boys and QEB. Obviously he would have been offered places at both. On my advice to Herty I was thinking about the aspect of a dry run at a real entrance exam surrounded by other candidates that would help her dd. But at Clement Danes there are as many music places as there are academic so there is a very real opportunity there. How many music places are there at Watford girls and Parimeters?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now